1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone watch The Dead Zone TV series?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by stewarthollyhea, Sep 9, 2004.

1. stewarthollyhea

stewarthollyhea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am coming to the end of watching Deep Space Nine which Ihave found to be excellant and possibly some of the best TV writing I have come accross. Much darker and complex than standard Next Generation. Anyway I notice that some of the writing crew then moved on to doing the Dead Zone and was wondering if we are talking yet another top class program or not? I have never seen it and welcome your views.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,006
    I watched a couple of the first series and did not watch any more, but I was told to stick with it and restarted and found it was a really good series. :smashin:

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It's a quality show, writing and production wise.
    I was never a fan of the movie/book the tv show is based on but unlike many tv remakes it manages to expand on the original while keeping to the basic premise.

I would highly recommend the R1 dvd boxsets, very good presentation (w/s, DD) with plenty of extras.

4. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The Dead Zone gets another thumbs up from me ! :thumbsup:

Into its third series now, the first two series were both excellent, and the first episode of the new series on Monday night looked very promising again.

If you don't get the DVD boxsets, keep an eye on the Sci-Fi channels scheduling - they repeated the first couple of series before, and now that they're showing the third series, they might do it again.

Ian.

5. stewarthollyhea

stewarthollyhea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks i am trying to source the r1 boxsetof season 1 but i want to find it with the pilot included as apparently u have to send off a voucher (which they wont accept fromt he UK i bet).

6. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    DeadZone is excellently written. Mostly it is made up of standalone episodes, but there is an overall story arc that has so far carried across all three seasons. The story arc alone is worth sticking with the show for...

Just a note about other series out there...have you ever watched Babylon 5?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The unaired "pilot" that was made to sell the show to the channel/studio is the bonus that is redeemed by the voucher and yes only for US folks:)
    Can't say I have missed it, certainly doesn't impact the show one single bit since the first aired episode covers all the points needed to set up the shows premise and characters.

8. stewarthollyhea

stewarthollyhea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bever really got into babylon 5 I am not sure why. I came into sci-fi via star wars then next gen. I was very happy with fs9 thought it was truely excellant allround

9. Glimmer

Glimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We only got the first series in New Zealand. It got dropped from network tv due to low ratings. I reckon a later timeslot would've helped, as sci-fi/fantasy usually works better during late evenings in NZ.

10. janmars

janmars
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well the first series of B5 wasn't much good overall. Only about 3 eps worth watching...from Season 2 onwards though it was very good indeed...

11. kaizer

kaizer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    dead zone is one of the best shows on tv at the moment, every episode is like a mini movie ( effects / acting / story wise ). currently about midway through season 3 in the usa & they've left it on such a hollywood style cliffhanger !

You can still buy the "unaired pilot" dvd of dead zone from playusa for about £9.99.

12. Kaotician

Kaotician

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    the unaired pilot is also available via dvdsoon for £4.30 incl shipping, last time i looked.

13. stewarthollyhea

stewarthollyhea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone seen it ? why was it "Unaired" s it not as goodas the actual program?

14. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Pilots are normally made for the studio to let them see what they are paying for or going to pay for, in most cases these pilots if picked up are re-shot to a higher technical standard and sometimes the characters/actors change.

Good recent example is Joey, the neighbour character was altered. A bit further back, both Charmed and Smallville had their pilots redone with new actresses for the actual series.

Worth remembering that due to rights/distribution deals or just profiteering you might see the first episode/pilot of a US series released on DVD followed by the same episode as part of a series boxset.

15. stewarthollyhea

stewarthollyhea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so just for confirmation can anyone confirm whether the unaired pilot of this program is rehashed in the first aired episode? or does the aired episode not go into his accident and coma etc?