1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone watch MTV Icon Last night

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Shoka, May 16, 2003.

1. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Metalica were this years Icon and the program was amazing.

A lot of behind the scenes stuff about the band, and some great performances from bands doing Metalica songs, and metalica themselves performed. It went a lot into why Jason Newstead left the band, and James hatfield Alcoholism. Very interesting.

For anyone who didnt see it or is interested its repeated tonight at midnight tonight.

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    I saw it. To be honest, outside of the videotape footage they were showing of the "behind closed doors" stuff you don't normally get to see, I thought most of it was pretty average.
    Metallica playing their own songs were good, except that last track which I assume was new material (hence the anti-piracy trick of cutting the performance short and running the credits over it) and sounded abysmal, but I thought the likes of Avril Levigne and Snoop Dogg were hilarious in their blandness - Snoop especially, it seemed like someone paid him to sing along to a song he'd never heard before:rotfl:. Limp Bizkit did a reasonable rendition of Sanitarium but Korn's idea of One wasn't particularly good.

Just seemed like an attempt to try and get people to forget the Napster debacle before the new album comes out to me.
    Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but Metallica lost their edge years ago when they started putting out albums like Load. I think they've probably settled too much into their pipes and slippers to appeal to me much any more

3. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    IMO when Jason Newstead left the band the lost it.

Snoop was abismal, every time I see avril lavine live somewhere she seems as if she cant be bothered being there, maybe its just me but I think her heads got to big after her album done well.

4. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if you've read much about him lately, newstead, you'll see that he appears to have 'lost it' also.

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    How do you mean, havent read much about him recently.

6. Pete Ear

Pete Ear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw this Icon program for the first time the other night. Aerosmith were featured and I thought it was a great show - Kid Rock done a brilliant cover but it was funny to see just how crap some of the other performers were - most notably Shakira singing "Dude looks like a lady" :D.

7. Dr.Magus

Dr.Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else notice how much James Hetfield now looks like Barry Gibb?

8. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

JASON NEWSTED: 'BOB ROCK's No Bass Player' - May 11, 2003

METALLICA's forthcoming "St. Anger" album, the group's first since 1997's "Reload", features bass tracks courtesy of longtime producer Bob Rock, an accomplished musician whose own rock-star aspirations were documented on several CDs, including the largely-ignored self-titled 1992 LP from his now-defunct band ROCKHEAD.

Although ex-METALLICA bassist Jason Newsted believes that the group's decision to hire Rock to play on their upcoming CD was ultimately "the right thing" to do, he says that the producer is simply incapable of playing the bass with the ferocity and aggression required by some of his former band's more intense, high-energy material.

"With no disrespect to Bob whatsoever, he's no bass player," Jason told Bass Player magazine in its May 2003 issue. "He can lay down some notes and he knows music theory and things like that, but it's not possible for him to play with ferocity on songs such as 'Damage Inc.', 'Battery' and 'Creeping Death'. He's spent more time on guitar and producing, so the aggression that's required for those songs to be properly executed would not be present. That's all, that's just facts. [For the 'St. Anger' album] he was doing something that I understand was a favor to those guys, trying to help them move forward, but he had no intention of being their bass player. He just had to help them get where they needed to go. I completely understand, and as a METALLICA fan, I'd say that was the right thing. God bless them for that."

Sounds like sour grapes to me .

9. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Too right Dan,and if you knew why and how they got rid of Jason then yeah he`s justified in that (to be honest I thought he was very restrained and came over as nice as always)
    James sitting there lying through his teeth was just towing the corperate line ;)

10. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny thing is, now that jason is out of the band, Metallica are now going to be playing stuff that he wanted to play.
    Bone Daddy, please enlighten me as to how they got rid of him, as I have read info to the contrary.