• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyone using VGA on Hitachi pd5200/5300?

Scuttlerx

Established Member
Just wondered what sort of results people are getting with the VGA if there are any using one with a PD5xxx, specifically what the colours are like compared to component and whether tweaking can make an improvement on the 'washed out' colours that have been reported.

Would try it out myself but im lacking the tele at the moment..!

Throttle

Established Member
Im using my Xbox 360 with a Pd5200 through official Vga lead and found colour to be good not washed out :rolleyes:
I dont have a component lead to compare but colour looks spot on to me easy the same quality as 360 demo pods running through samsung lcd's and very crisp picture :thumbsup:

Scuttlerx

Established Member
Sounds encouraging :) When I said washed out it just the general consensus is that vga is sharp but washed out, component vivid but varies a bit from set to set, nice to hear the hitachi gives a good picture. Im just trying to debate what to do as ive got the 5300 so only hi def input ive got is vga. have you got 32/37/42?

Throttle

Established Member
Ive got a 42" tv I'll see if i can get a decent looking quality picture later on and post it :smashin:

Hmmm tried get a pic but couldnt get decent enough looking really the colour didnt look as colourful as did on tv so be pointless posting as wouldnt give a as good impression as the colour quality really is :(

Scuttlerx

Established Member
Can you still get picture adjustments like brightness/contrast up when using the vga, from what ive read some tvs can and some cant...

Cheers for ya help so far :thumbsup:

Throttle

Established Member
Yea just gone to menu on the Xbox 360 and brought up settings on tv managed to change various settings like contrast, brightness and hue ...whatever hue is :confused:

Scuttlerx

Established Member
Superb, think I will be holding on to my 5300 fro a little while yet then (when i get it back that is!), the px60 can wait until I have some more HD sources to put into it, not to mention funds to buy it :)

Scuttlerx

Established Member
My vga cable came yesterday so i've had a little play with the 5200 thats waiting to be collected and re-funded (pictures fine but sound has packed up!). Initially was a bit un-impressed, colours were a bit pale and overall picture not as sharp as I was expecting, but after a bit of fiddling it became a lot better.

The initial settings were all zero, pic enhancement low, and contrast +31.

Eventually I ended up with Contrast -9, Brightness - 5, Colour +3 and pic enhancement set to high, first 3 settings sorted out the colours and the pic enchancement made everything a lot sharper. Was using it mainly on 1280 x 720 res, hard to choose one that thats close to 1024 x 852, all seemed to look the same really but 1280x720 seem smoothest, however needs a bit more time devoted to this to find the best one :)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom