1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using Van Damme Pro loudspeaker cable?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ijc, Apr 16, 2004.

1. ijc

ijc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone is using this Van Damme pro cable (as sold by vdctrading). I'm wondering what it's comparable to - Gale? CableTalk? QED Orig.? QED SA?
    I'm looking to replace some odd lengths in my setup. Once I installed a projector, all of my equipment moved, and I ended up twisting together lengths of CableTalk 3.1 to get me by on the front soundstage. Rear is QED Qudos (which I understand is now QED Original?). Now, I want to replace it with proper lengths with no joins. To be honest, I was also never really happy with the CableTalk 3.1 when I put it in first with no joints - it seemed to muddy the sound a little?

Setup is a HK DVD25, Denon 1803, Tannoy MX3s, and MXC, with some old Bose 301s as rears (I know... time to replace those...). I really can't justify spending £4 or 4.50 per metre on QED SA, and have heard great things about the Van Damme cable, at least from a video perspective.

Any advice on this particular Van Damme Pro cable? if I was to take this route, which diameter should I be going for - 2.5mm or 4mm?

cheers,
    ijc

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    ijc

We use the VanDamme cables on installs (Home Theatre and AV) - no complaints so far; though were not usually doing A-B cable comparisons with other brands.

We've also supplied a fair bit of VanDamme to Home Theatre customers who are assembling new systems and again no complaints.

I use it with a Linn Mimik, Majik, Tucan set-up I run in my office and it works well - I use the 4x2.5mm as the Linn kit has Bi-Wire connections.

The 4mm cable is might heavy and no best suited to all Consumer applications.

Best regards

Joe

3. ijc

ijc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Joe

The fact that you use it for installs certainly gives me some confidence in it. I think I'll give it a try, and try the 4x2.5mm - my Tannoys allow for bi-wiring, so hopefully it should provide an improvement. To be honest, some old 'joined' QED original I have seems to sound better than the Cabletalk 3.1.

Cheers,
    ijc

4. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    ijc,

Don't be swayed by the use of these cables in installs. Most of these people don't have sound quality very high on their priority lists, and don't tend to have any input into the cabling used to hook up their systems. Cables are usually chosen by the installer which makes them the most profit.

These cables are made in the far east, and simply branded witht he VanDamme brand, and although are not bad cables by any means, my advise would be to stick to more recognised "hi-fi / home cinema" brands, as their cables are designed and made for a more discerning buyer/market.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Filbert

Strong words!!! maybe you've used installers that don't worry about sound quality but please be assured not all installers are created equal - go tell the BBC, CH4 and numerous other broadcaster and production studios that use miles (sorry kilometres) of VanDamme that its just OK.

As ever we get down to 'do cables make a difference' - some say yes some say no; IJC has found they do in his system.

I'd suggest trying to find some of whatever cable your gong to try out and install it in your system - if its inexpensive just go buy a few meters to start with if its expensive go borrow some from a supplier or get it on sale or return.

Best regards

Joe

PS VanDamme is LESS profitable than 90% of HiFi Branded cables!

PPS 100% input on what goes into our installs!

6. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Joe,

I wasn't referring to installers who don't care about sound quality, more that "some" customers. Obviously not the likes of the BBC!!

My information on VanDamme is based on "inside" information, can't say anymore!!

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Filbert

It doesn't really matter where the raw cables are manufactured (I don't think VanDamme make any claims about where they are manufactured) - at least with VanDamme you have a written spec for every cable they sell.

Best regards

Joe

8. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Hence my comment "are not bad cables by any means"

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Filbert

Sorry I still don't get it - buy a HiFi brand as its in a nice box and has nice literature!!!

VanDamme are just as relevant as any other cable 'brand' and as before they have stated spec sheets so you at least know what your getting.

The cables we order from VanDamme on the Drum or made to order IN THE UK are excellent quality and I've never had complaints from AV or Home Theatre customers.

Best regards

Joe

10. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Joe,

You seem to be taking things very personally! :nono: As I'm sure you know, cabling and the performance improvements gained is a very subjective matter. At no point have I said that VanDamme cables are poor, as re-itterated in my previous post.

However I still stand by my comment, that just because a particular brand's cables are used by companies in pro-installs (VanDamme or otherwise) doesn't necessarilly mean that they are good cables, or better than any other cables at a comparable price point.

A stated spec is useful and I understand why you like to see specs, but again just because you know the spec of a cable doesn't make it better than another cable which may appear to have a "lesser" spec. Again performance is subjective and dependent upon many factors, not least the componenets that cables are being used with.

I am not attacking you or VanDamme, just offering an opinion.

11. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    Filbert

I have to disagree - saying 'stick to more recognised "hi-fi / home cinema" brands, as their cables are designed and made for a more discerning buyer/market' suggests to me that you believe the VanDamme cables are not properly engineered or designed and this is simply untrue.

I've even seen customers posting pictures of VanDamme cable assemblies on these Forums as they are so happy with the build quality (on top of audio or visual performance).

As before VanDamme are just as relevant to Home Theatre and HiFi enthusiasts as any 'Branded' HiFi cable available in the UK.

Apologies if I appear a touch hot under the collar ;)

Best regards

Joe

12. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Any particular recommendation from your homepage Filbert..?

13. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Based on the equipment and budget, I would consider

Ecosse CS2.3
    Ixos XHS706-S
    and ijc could of course stick with QED Original as he seems to be happy with the sound of it, just wants complete lengths.

VanDamme apparently also do speaker cables! :D

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    It may interest folk to know that last time I looked 2 out of three of Filberts cables were also made in Far East....

I think you'll find that most cable manufacturers are not actually manufacturers at all. They are designers who go to manufacturers and have km's of their designs extruded and put in fancy sheathing. In fact you may actually find, if you care to look in depth, that alot of cables are same spec, from same manufacturer but just with alternate coloured sheathing and name printed on side.

I find that custom installation companies will use the most appropriate cabling they can. For chasing in walls you are unlikely to use LK400 from Linn....but you might use Ixos thin gamma geometry stuff. It would be an unwise installer or retailer who would put in cable that he believed would compromise his clients sytem.

The really smart custom instal companies of course play the game to make money and have good audio quality. How? simple...they go to the Far East manufacturers and buy the correct spec cable, unbranded, by the mile. Is this cable poor.....NO. It's quite likely the same as lots of others out there.

P,S, I use QED, Ixos, Linn a little unbranded stuff, Belden and Van Damme and Klotz. Whatever is lying around really.

15. Filbert

Filbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Gordon,

Agree with you 100%. If my earlier post suggested that I was slating VanDamme because their cables are made in the Far East, I didn't mean to. I know the factories they use to produce their cables, one of which used to be the sole manufacturer of all of a certain very famous cable company who's name starts with "I".