Anyone using Sky+ on communal dish?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Pavel, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi all,

I'm currently using Sky Digital via a communal satellite dish which covers 12 houses.

Is anyone out there using Sky + with such a system? If so, did it just plug straight in, or did you have to have any modifications made to the dish?

Thanks,

Paul

2. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Anyone living in a communal block will generally only have 1 feed per flat. Sky + requires 2. There are ways around this, but they cost money and you won;t be getting sky to do it for a £1 installation, that's for certain.

I am seeing the original satellite provider about this over the next week as he says he can adapt by current setup and do it for approx £100 installation. Will let you know the outcome.

3. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Although I do not have SKy+ I have the wiring in anticipation. The way I did it was this.

My flat has two tv points. The one in the lounge comes of a mux that combines TV / FM & sat. The bedroom one just gives tv/fm. Both come from the same location where all the mux and splitting is done.

I have come to an agreement with a neighbour who does not want sky. Using two cross over cables I have attached their living room cable to the feed that was suppling my bedroom and their loung feed to the cable that supplies my bedroom. I have then put an extension on the bedroom feed so that it now also comes out in the lounge. Net result two sky feeds in the lounge.

Hope this is clear

4. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    hi klnc,

I'd be quite interested in how you get on with this, I live in a flat with communal Sky and thought that sky+ would be impossible, if there's a way round it I'd be delighted.

Owain

5. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a communal system with Sky+ but I'm the only guy in our building that can have it. Because my flat was brand new when I moved in and because my original Sky feed cable was damaged they had to fit a new one. There was spare capacity on the distribution point in the riser outside my flat so I asked them to put two cables in instead of just the one so that I could have two independant feeds.

I had Sky+ installed last month and it works perfectly :)

6. Toekiller

Toekiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My place has 48 flats supplied by two dishes with splitters inbetween. All I had to do was find a spare port on the splitter and run another cable in.