1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using powerdvd xp with ME???

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Tim Cooper, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I loaded powerdvd 4 xp on my hcpc & to me it looks very grainy esp' when viewing high brightness shots in films (the desert shots in The Phantom Menace) also the "Sky shots" the clouds look very artificial (is this what is called white crush) this is not present using windvd 3.1.
    The system:
    P3-700
    256mb dimms
    Elsa Gladiac geforce 2 mx
    udma100 hdd
    Windows ME
    Hitatchi 7500
    Running at 1280x720 to a barco graphics PJ
    Will the image improve if i load on windows xp? or will i have to start thinking of upgrading the graphics card to a radeon?
    Also which flavour radeon the ddr version or the US LE version & not to touch the VE version what's your opinion.
    Thanks
    Tim:D

2. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    ^BUMP^
    :D

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, Tim, you've beenm quiet :D

You dont mention if you're using Hardware Acceleration at all? This is something you should experiment with.

Personally I moved to XP with PowerDVD XP so cannot explain what you're seeing, but this kind of issue can be down to HWMA.

You'll see improved stability on XP but you dont mention if this is a problem or not.

I also have the new TheaterTek Player which I'm currently working through.

As to Radeon Card? Well I'm using a VE with no problems and a stunning picture. The VE's are very very cheap now so I'd suggest making this move also.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards Neil.

4. Tim Cooper

Tim Cooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Hi Neil,

I've been using windoze ME for my HCPC since i built it so it is quite stable (ish) i'm running 1280x720 @ 73khz completely stable with windvd 3.1 & some minor (micro) stutter on slow pans with powerdvd xp the h/ware accel is on max: i will have a fiddle but did'nt i read somewhere that turning off or lowering h/ware accel' introduces artifaction (esp on "contrasty" areas like skies)
    I'm using xp on my main computers & power dvd xp looks superb on my monitor BUT they always do don't they:) so does windvd 3.1??

What's the theater tek like is it as good as they say? i've also heard rumblings that powerdvd xp is AS good as the thater tek i would love to take a look at it ;)

What are the issues when using windows xp on a htpc i've noticed on the AVS forums that people are having trouble with sp/dif thruput & problems with DTS???

I was told to avoid the VE radions like the plague due to it having a 266mhz ish GPU & something about the SDR memory?? (the US LE version has a 350mhz gpu & ddr memory with a few registry hacks this baby runs just as nice as it's dearer cousin). Is your ve running ok, 100%, no probs', cos if it is i might go for one,...will i notice THAT much difference between the radion ve & the elsa geforce 2 mx??

Sorry about the 20 questions but hey i'm usually lurking :D

Cheers Neil,

Tim.

P.S You're a "GIT" BTW introducing me to Barco, hcpc, artifaction, posturisdoodah, black levels, dot crawl...
    ......grumble....moan.....bitch :D :D :D :D

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well its something you should play with by turning off completely. Some (myself included) prefer the image of PowerDVD without H/W Accel.

Well at the moment I have a stack of problems with it namely locking up, and stuttering DTS, whereas I do not have these probs with PowerDVD. Also it is a bitch to make multiregion requiring a Reboot on XP. PQ is very very good though.

Yes this is the primary one. I find that occasionally music on a menu wont play (WinDVD or PDVD) and sometimes DTS drops out and doesnt come back. Pausing and Playing normally kicks it into life. I still think a solid automated HTPC is a long way off.

Well I plumped for the VE as it was much cheaper than the LE and I've had very conflicting views. Personally I saw a big difference in sharpness and colour. I would say buy a VE and see what you think. You could always pass it on 2nd hand.

Regards Neil.

6. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,919
    I was looking around for a VE a little while ago but intstead, came across the Radeon 7200. It's only £77 at Dabs.

It seems to be performing well enough for my usage.