1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using MDF as your screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jim McC, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Jim McC

Jim McC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone is using MDF(medium density fiberboard) as your screen, can you share how it worked out? Did you prime and paint? How did you mount it to wall? Thanks a lot for any help.

2. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am using a sheet of ply painted matt white until i get my screen, I just put it up mainly to aquire the correct size before ordering the screen but am very pleased with the ply:rolleyes:

my screen should be fitted next weekend & will reply with results when fitted

3. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
    I used a sheet of MDF for my screen: I bought 10mm sheet from Wickes, lopped the end off to make it 16:9, sealed it with some wood glue mixed with water, then painted it Icestorm 5 or 6. I then added some beading to the edges, spray-painted black.

It's mounted into the stud wall behind with just 4 screws:)

[​IMG]

Works pretty well, I'd choose it over any cheap manual roll-down screen (i.e Draper, Proscreen etc) as the bugger never ripples;)

4. millec199

millec199

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am thinking of doing this soon as I have a painted wall at the moment (Icestorm 5) with a black border and I am very happy with the results, however as I rent, I will be moving in September to a much nicer place, but unfortunately that means the decor is nice as well and I don't think the landlord would like a big grey square on the wall. So it is either a screen for me or painted MDF.

I plan on using 12mm MDF (should be stiff enough to stay flat and not bend, but I will check before buying and if needed 15mm or even 20mm can be used) and lightly sanding the top surface to make it easier to paint. Then I was going to have 1-2 coats of white primer and then 1-2 coats of Icestorm 5. I would then finish with a black border, either paint or tape/paper stuck round the edge. I think this will work nicely.

I will be placing it on top op 2 chest of draws and leave a large bottom border for the centre speaker and then I can hopefully rest it against the wall and use blutack to make sure it stands straight and fixed.

It is either that or a cheap pull down screen, but I had projected onto a white wall before the ice storm, and I have to say that the icestorm was such an improvement, I don’t want to go back to white, and I certainly don’t want to pay £200 for a worse image, so it seems like the MDF is the way to go.

5. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    just a tip
    If you paint both sides of the board it will reduce the chance of it curling:lesson:

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I used mdf 9mm thick and to stop it from curling used a 2x1 batton screwed to the back, the screw holes were then covered by black flock tape. I painted this with the goo system, the reason i didnt go any thicker is that i wanted to hang it from my picture rails and the 12mm stuff upwards was getting rather heavy at 7ft wide.

7. millec199

millec199

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I was actually thinking of painting one side 16:9 and one side 2.35:1, so that I can have the correct aspect ratios with black masking.

But I probably wont do that stright away, so when you say paint both sides, do you mean at the same time (so they dry together) and with the same amount of paint, or can I just put one coat of white on the back to start with and then finish it at a later date?

Thanks for the advice

8. Jim McC

Jim McC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. What color is this "Icestorm", a light gray or something similiar?

9. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
  10. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

they don@t need to be painted at the same time a couple of days will do

but thats a good idea about having different aspect ratios as long as you have the room to flip it around whenever you need to change

11. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

a similar situation if you use a laminate (formica) you have to balance the reverse with another laminate to stop the glue from "pulling" the MDF/PLY

12. millec199

millec199

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for the tip. Im not sure if I will have the room for flipping untill I move in and try, but it would be nice. But im not sure if I could be bothered flipping it everytime, but even if I only did it for the big films (LOTR etc) then it would be worth it.

13. sconie

sconie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi I am about to make a diy screen, I was thinking of using 9mm ply from B&Q as it feels lighter than MDF, it comes in 8ft by 4ft, am correct in thinking that by cutting off 1ft at the end this would give me a widescreen setup ?
    As I am buying a DLP PJ would you reccomend Icestorm 5 or 6
    And lastly if I want a black border around the screen will any black paint do, if so what do I use to measure the width of the black border ?

Thanks

14. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    My board was similar size so to keep the measurements simple i had a 1.5 inch border top and bottom which left a 45inch viewing height, this into 16:9 gives a viewing width of 80inch, so yes if you cut a foot off the end you will have a 16:9 screen with 1.5inch border at the top and bottom and 2inch at the sides.
    As for icestorm, you could try 6 as 5 is quite a bit darker, i did use a 5/6 mix but found that it darkened the whole colour range too much.

15. sconie

sconie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the advice, I will decide on whether to use MDF or Plywood and then find some black felt or simillar for the border.

16. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    where do you buy ice storm paint

17. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IceStorm is a Dulux colour you get it mixed on the spot at B&Q/wherever - the number refers to the shade of darkness, you can check it out on the colour-card.

Just a suggestion for MDF screens - I wouldn't be temted to sand MDF. the main benefit of the surface of MDF is that it's practically perfectly smooth. it should be sealed as Smurfin suggests and painted for the best result. Don't underestimate the weight of a 22mm sheet of MDF, it's blooming heavy - 10mm with a 2x1 frame on the back would seem a better idea to me.

The idea of havig a 16x9 on one side and 2.35:1 on the other side with appropriate black borders is a very good one - provided you can organise the screen so that you can flip it around easily.

Sean.

18. BigGEORDIE

BigGEORDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I too was thinking of making a flip screen . but I think it will be better to make the top and bottom borders out of black cloth that can dropped down and lifted up & vice versa accordingly. the only thing is finding the right cloth to look flat enough when folded.