1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using Hitachi 37PD5200 with DVI/HDMI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by idhutt, Jul 3, 2004.

1. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did a search, bit noone seems to have posted real world use of HDMI/DVI with the Hitachi 37PD5200.

Does anyone have any comments. My DVD player can be used as a scaler for external sources - composite, s-video and interlaced component. Output is 720P/1080i/native HDMI or component at 576P.

Also, what is the native resolution input - if I output HDMI at native, is it rescaled by the panel?

How does this panel rate? I've read about lack of deep black, green tint, buzzing panels, but noone seems to have given an opinion on a properly calibrated display with a good quality component or DVI input. I've only seen the panel with a cr@p RF input at Curry's. Not sure if they would let me demo with a decent source - or if they know what one is.

Thanks

Ian

2. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this model and I read the What Video report that has just arrived down under this weekend - I would say that they are way off with their opinions - the set as delivered is pretty bad, it just needs a bit of careful tweaking, which I have been doing for the last three weeks. The colour/contrast/blacks are now close to perfect (nothing's perfect) and I'm comparing the pic to a Sony PVM2950 broadcast CRT monitor...
    There are so many tweaks available as far as colour control/saturation that I'm sure with enough time and effort you can get just about any personal setting you prefer from this set...
    BUT, whilst I am over the moon with the PQ in general I can't say that I am happy with the solarisation/banding that I see on large areas of colour *when it's moving* - still frames/subjects are perfect but any quick movement results in a lot of solarisation and I even see coloured RGB contour lines where these colour gradients change.
    I also seem to be one of the unlucky people that can actually detect 'rainbows' on some plasmas when there are areas of large contrast such as a mainly black screen with just a small white area...
    Not sure if these problems are just me, just this set or ALIS panels in general - I'm stillwaiting to hear back from Hitachi tech support. In spite of these issues I have to say that in general the PQ is hard to fault (my wife and friends don't see any of the problems that I see) and a lot of the time it is simply jaw droppingly stunning especially when feeding it with a decent HDTV source.

BTW I have had no problems whatsoever with buzzing noise or noise of any kind - it is totally silent

4. idhutt

idhutt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi What source are you running and at what resolution? What resolution is the panel reporting in its EDID? Is it having to rescale from 'native' input.

Thanks

Ian

5. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Feeding a progressive scan DVD player via component, a Panasonic HS2 dvd recorder via RGB and a HDTV STB via component (PAL 1080i)
    Oh and a 1280 x 768 vga from a PC and I have to say the jpg digital slide show looks superb via this vga connection, I guess it would be even better via the DVI input

Don't know that I can help as far as rescaling - I guess it is with all the above sources as the panel's native res is 1024 x 1024 and none of these sources match that directly...

6. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AngryofMayfair, tal for the comments on the PD5200. Been considering it myself, however bugged with following drawbacks:

1- Overall softness, lack of details of the picture (almost blurry, as I can tell from the many -mediocre due to bad setup- demos I've seen in stores). I'm sure this screen can do better than that, how would you rate this Hitachi on "crispness"?

2- False contouring/solarisation, esp. on moving faces. Pretty ugly sometimes, bad sources on top. Looks like you'ree seeing this as well. I've read on other forum that you can greatly reduce it by tweaking R,G,B parameters, and that it's almost unexistant with HD sources... Whaddayathink?

3- PAR of 16:9 - as far from square pixels as they could manage to design! Plus apparently no way to drive this plasma to its native resolution (1024x1024/512). Bad for connection to a HDPC (my case). Any comment?

TIA,