Anyone using D-Link DR615 on Linux ?

mahutchinson

Standard Member
I recently upgraded my router to a D-Link DR615 "n" as it was basically free from Virgin, replacing a Linksys WRT45G "g". The Linksys worked fine with my Toshiba A100-147 Equium laptop on Windows XP and Linux Mint. I changed the WPA key when installing the D-Link and it works fine with Windows but when I insert the new key into Linux Mint (using wcid) it tells me it is a "bad password". I know it isn't so is the router incompatible ?

mahutchinson

Standard Member
There is no such thing. Routers are OS and application agnostic. The client device may have a problem but it isn't compatibility.
Someone on another forum has recently commented that they have never got a D-Link router to work on Linux so maybe there is something to this after all.

beerhunter

Novice Member
Someone on another forum has recently commented that they have never got a D-Link router to work on Linux so maybe there is something to this after all.
That is extremely odd. The various bits of a Domestic Router (Home Gateway call them what you will) do care what Operating Systems are on the LAN(s). However, the comms stacks that run under those OSes need to comply to the standards - in your case IEEE 802.11(x) and/or the encryption.

Presumably you can get it to work with wired Ethernet? If you can then that is another piece of evidence that it is not the OS on the client that is the problem but rather its WiFi stack.

Last edited:

mahutchinson

Standard Member
Another post I read elsewhere was talking about the speed - the router was too fast for the PC wireless, but I have tried 10 and 100 as well as 10/100/1000 and it didn't make any difference (unless you have to wait quite a while for the changet to kick in). Just wondering as the new router is "n" rated.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
10/100/1000 are ethernet link rates, they have no bearing to wifi link rates.

If you were experiencing a hardware issue, then it would manifest itself with both OS's on your PC (I read it that you have some kind of dual boot PC...?) If that is the case, since Windows works and Linux doesn't, that lends weight to an issue with the Linux OS rather than a hardware issue (either end.)

I'd suggest you change the SSID and Passphrase on your router to force the OS to connect to the wifi LAN as if it were a brand new one. That will (should) rule out any chance that some setting in Linux pertaining to your old router's SSID is lurking in your box somewhere that is upsetting it.

You could also try forcing your router and/or Linux to operate in G only or BG modes - that would give you an idea as to whether there is an incompatibilty issue related to the "N" wifi driver implemented in your Linux OS.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom