1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using Celestion Sub help out???

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Messiah, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi all

I have a full set of Celestion C series speakers including the C6 sub-woofer all being driven by a Denon A1SR amp. During films with heavy LFE the sub starts to smoke and smell after about an hour or so (had to stop Matrix Reloaded this evening to allow it to cool down - and hence now typing this).

Can anyone give any advice as to why.

Amp to beefy for speakers?
    Faulty sub?
    Wrong settings?
    etc.

I have the sub conneceted into both the L&R inputs using a Monster 1 into 2 phono cable.

Thanks. Apreciate any replies.

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Neil,

What have you got the speakers set to? Large or small and where are you crossing over?

Which C's did you end up with?

The sub was recognised as the weakest point in the C package. I can remember hearing dems at shows where Celection used 2 of them to help it out. You can probably pick up another for next to nothing if you can find one.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi John

Got a pair of C3's for the front, C2's for the rear, a C4C centre and C6S sub. (also a pair of the C5R rear surrounds for 7.1 but not using them yet)

I have all the speakers set to small in amp setup and the Crossover set to Fixed: THX (although don't know why - think that's come about from fiddling).

I am using the L&R Line Input phono connectors on the back of the sub, have the polarity set at 0 degrees and the frequency set at about 60Hz (the marking for C3s).

Probably all completely and utterly wrong as I have no idea with audio. Video yes but audio no :blush:

Any help greatly appreciated.

Have seen a Celestion S8 sub on Hyperfi for £200 and as you say could probably find another C6s somewhere for less than a £100 but wondering whether I should get something proper like a REL or similar ?????

Thanks.

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think with the C3's and C2's and the Clestion sub you'd be better off with them set to large, the C3's go own down to about 40hz themselves so the amount of improvement by using the sub in that setup will be minimal. The thx crossover point is 80hz.

I cant really help with the exact setup of the sub as I'm no expert in this bit but I think you should turn the croosover point to max as that allows the amp to do the work. I think the polarity must be phase and I dont think that matters with only one sub. I also dont think its necessary to have both phonos connected, I'm sure one will do but I'm not sure if its a problem or not.

Whether or not two subs will help or whether a better sub then I'm inclined with budget allowing that a proper sub like my Servo15 will give you what you really want.

For reference I'm using my C3 front and sides, C2 centre rears and C4c all set to small with a 80hz crossover at the amp (Myryad MDP500g6 and Rotel poweramps) from a single phono connection.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm no techie but can't see how playing a film with heavy LFE would make a subwoofer start to smoke and smell unless it was faulty

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    OK, thanks John and Ian. I did think it was a bit strange that it should smoke as it is only getting a Line Input so it's own amp will be doing all the work. I think I'll give Celestion/Kef a call tomorrow and see what they say. meanwhile, I shall make the changes that John recommends - when you say 'crossover point to max' do you mean 120Hz or 40Hz (i.e. which end of the scale)?

Told you I know nothing about the audio side of things :)

Thanks.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Should have also said that the sub volume has never been above half way.

As to the phono input, am I correct in assuming that it does not matter whether you use just the left or just the right ()if I remove the 1 > 2 adaptor)?

Thanks again.

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    120hz.

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hey John. You don't know anyone with a C6S for sale do you? If I could get one around the £100 mark (doesn't look as though Hyperfi have any left) then I may as well give it a go with 2 and see if it improves.

Thanks.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't think that it will make any great improvements and I agree with your earlier comment that perhaps you should be looking at something a bit more powerful if you are looking for an improvement in the woofing department.

Keep your eyes on the classified forum as there are some decent subs coming up there for sale from time to time.

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Ian. A friend has a Rel Stadium which I like a lot. Any recommendations for something that would go well with the Celestions? Have to say the C6S does seem to just go boom boom and not really add that much other shaking the floor.

All recommendations gratefully received :)

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    So you should as it's a £1,500 subbie. You haven't given any indication of price but as most "speaker forum regulars" will know I am a great fan of SVS and have a 20-39 PC Plus myself which I would love to bits if I were that way inclined and cost me half the price of a Stadium.

Other alternatives at the "half Stadium" price mark include the Velodyne CHT-15 which is an excellent sub and forum member Liam McClaughlin from AV-Sales.com will no doubt quote you a highly competitive price if you PM him.

13. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Ian. I'll do some digging. I'm not too keen on the Velodynes as I understand they suffer from mains hum.

Thinking about it it may be a Strata my friend has not a Stadium. I must ask him.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They're OK once they've learnt the words :rolleyes:

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    :) :D Nice one.

16. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Neil,

no I dont know of any cs6's but have to agree with Ian in that you shaould set your sights a bit higher and no I dont want to sell my servo15:)

17. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi John and Ian

In doing a bit of searching I can get a Velodyne CHT10 for £225 or a Rel Strata II for £300 (both 2nd hand).

Any thoughts?

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If your interest is primarily films either would make an improvement on what you have now but I would recommend the Strata if you listen to much music.

19. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    A mate bought a strata II for £200 recently with a small scratch on it that was barely noticeable. Great sound though for a compact"ish" box. Haven't heard any Velos s o wouldn't like to comment.

20. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, despite being a couple of weeks outside of warranty Celestion agreed to replace the amp board and so I took it down there today and sure enough they gave me a brand new boxed amp. Got home tonight and fitted the new board (which is really the complete workings as contains all the electronics, connections, psu, etc) and guess what????

Still dead as a dodo. Even with the test tone the sub is completely silent. I have also used the high level inputs direct from the front left and right speakers and still absolutely nothing.

Considering the amplifier component has been changed is it possible that the speaker (cone) is damaged. It looks perfect and cannot see why or how a paper cone (and magnet) could smoke so has anyone got any ideas why it is completely dead? I was beginning to think that whatever happened to it maybe damaged my amp (A1SR) but as the sub will not work via the high level inputs either (yet plenty of bass emanates from the front L&R speakers if I set them to large) I must assume it is the sub itself. But what or how :confused:

I'll be ringing Celestion again in the morning but anyone with any ideas of what else I can try tonight? Thanks.

21. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Figured it out :) Took her apart again and after testing powerinput etc have seen that one of the wires going from a spade conector into the cone has broken. Guess the faulty (sub) amp put too much load on it and burnt it through. Just hoping the cone is still OK but just about to resolder some new wire to make the join.

[edit] Goodness knows what material though small wires/cables are made from but they will not solder. Have to wait for a new speaker cone by the look of it :(

22. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Try putting a small spade conector on the wire and then solder onto that rather than the wire.But it does sound like the voice coil is burnt out.

23. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Thanks Bob. Spoken to Celestion this morning who 'listened' to the cone being pushed in and out and have agreed that the coil is burnt out. They are putting another in the pst to me.

Great people to deal with :)