Anyone using a Yamaha RX-V3900 and a PS3 or WD TV

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jon Weaver, Feb 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +757
    I am having an absolute nightmare... My RX-V3900 has been working fine for years, and I just worked out a way to free up a HDMI to install a 'Media Streamer'.

I first tried a Panasonic and could only get 2 Channel.. Then bought a WD TV Live and have the same problem. And worryingly I was unable to get my PS4 to give Dolby Digital over HDMI at Christmas.

I assumed it wasn't a major issue until today, when I put 2 and 2 together.

On my PS3, when I do 'Auto' setup, I get a list of support audio modes, but it only shows "2 Channel PCM".. Fortunately, with the PS3, you cna go into manual and 'tick' the boxes to over-ride the auto settings.. So the PS3 has never been a problem.

But the WD TV is differnet.. In that auto mode, I am also shown "2 Channel", but when I select Dolby or PCM in Manual, I still get 2 channel.

Now considering I get the same on the Pansonic Streamer and the PS4, its clear I have a problem.. The root cause is that my PS3/WD is not "hand shaking" with the amp and getting the list of supported modes.

I asked my friend to test on his Onkyo and when he goes puts his PS3 into HDMI -> AUTO he gets an entire list of modes.

I called Yamaha and they confirmed that on their setup, with a PS3 they also get a list of modes.. But they dropped a bombshell when they said that the amp is a "slave" and the "master" is the TV, so IT generates the list of supported modes.. This would make sense as I use a Cheap Panasonic 50" Plasma with very limited audio capability.. So 2 channel is right.. But I find it hard to believe that the amp doesnt' insert its supported mode to the lists.

I question how if they were right, this would mean that you could get HD Audio sources unless your TV supported it.

They have come up with the idea of booting my Amp/PS3 with the TV disconnected and then going into Auto settings to see if this helps (just as a test). I am wondering whether a factory reset of the amp might be a better option?

My problem is that whilst Yamaha were very good at showing me how it should work, they wern't much help in explaining what my problem might be..

If I am honest, I could live with this.. I could go back to HDMI (rather than optical) on my PS3 and then use up the freed up Optical on the WD.. I could also upgrade my SkyHD box to get one which supports DD over HDMI to free up another Optical connector.. But I don't like working around faults.. I want to fix it.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions of how I can fix this?

It would really help if there was someone else out there who had an RX-V3900 and a TV with limited audio modes who could then check their PS3s HDMI Audio (Auto) settings to see how long the list of mode is.. As I said, my capability is shown as "2 Channel" only.

I have already confirmed this behavour on all 4 HDMI inputs. And using different cables.. So this is purely some kind of handshaking problem on my system.

My fingers are crossed that someone can help me.

Jon

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    Have you set the HDMI audio passthrough setting on the receiver to TV + AMP? If so then this may be why you get the results you've been getting. THe source sees your TV as the destination for audio and would take the destinations audio capabilities as guidance as to what audio it can output.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I don't know. Its been years since I did anything with the config.. BUT.. If you are right.. I would owe you lots and lots and lots and lots of beers as this one is literally giving me sleepless nights.

I am going home now and will test right away.. I hope you are right.. I really do..!

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I am feeling somewhat emotional right now.. I had this gut feeling you were right.. But when I got home I found that it was set to AMP+TV.. So I was frankly gutted.

But I changed to to AMP, just to see what happened.. And to my surprise the PS3 now shows the list of modes, as does the WDTV. And for the first time, i am streaming in Dolby!!!

Now I look back at your post, I can see you mean that AMP+TV is wrong.. So you were 100% right.

I can't thank you enough.. I don't think I have ever got so frustrated over an AV problem! I owe you plenty and hope I can return the favour in the future.

Again, thanks.. REALLY.. Thanks!

Jon

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    I'm very pleased my hunch was correct and that you resolved your problem :)