• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyone using a Wii on 50" Plasma???

C

creamy

Hi
Im thinking of getting a wii - does anyone use one on a 50" plasma? (Panny 50px70) Any problems, comments or suggestions welcome.

Cheers

PygoShlee

I have a 42" Plasma HD Samsung.

Get the component cable for it, really helps it alot. Looks a bit boxey and blurry with the standard cable!

Ash

DeeGee7

Hi
Im thinking of getting a wii - does anyone use one on a 50" plasma? (Panny 50px70) Any problems, comments or suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Hi Creamy, yes I use my wii on my Pioneer 5000EX. I am using the standard cable, plugged into my Denon 4306 which feeds via HDMI to the screen. The resulting picture quality is good, and in the enjoyment of playing wii sports I don't notice the lack of a 1080p picture.
Regards Dave G.

THE GFP

Banned
ive just got my wii set up with my 40" sony lcd tonight and its great and im typing this on my wii now!

how do i gef a better sharper picture?

and where do i get my wii user code?

is there predictive text for doing this bit with

oh and i have to keep using "B" to look around the screen, is there a way to see it all (i know that pressing "2" does it but thats too weird

alfaevans

Hi

I've just got my WII and its plugged into 50" LG with the cable that comes with it.

The pic is good but a bit blurry. I'm interested in the quality difference between the standard cable and component.

I've read two comments above, one a yes and one a no (bit worrying)

danwalton

anything is better than plugging the Wii in via composite (that it comes with). Component is said to be the best, but I'll let you know for sure when I get my new HDTV next week ;)

candi

anything is better than plugging the Wii in via composite (that it comes with). Component is said to be the best, but I'll let you know for sure when I get my new HDTV next week ;)

Personally the Composite looks better on my 42" Samsung. If I use Component and play Wii Sports then everything looks really jagged and horrible. Even tried all the different settings and it makes no difference. :(

Jon Weaver

Distinguished Member
I was using my Wii on my Panasonic 42" PW5 for a few months and it looked stunning, fed by RGB through a JS converter box passing through my Sky box and it was perfect.

Then the price of the PX60 range plummited, so I splashed out on the 50" and its easily as good.

There are infinitely more connection, so it was much easier to connect and stuck with RGB (SCART) over Component, just because I wanted to save my component inputs for a something which would actually be able to use the HD capability of the screen. Plus I already had the RGB SCART cable and I like the fact that the TV 'autoswitches' when you switch the Wii on (Something which can't be done with component).

So, to answer your question, there is nothing to fear.. Connection is easy, whether it be with the supplied Composive cables (Which give a poor picture) or whether you go for Component/RGB is your choice.

If you have any specific questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Jon

Steven

Senior Moderator
needpics.gif

beowulf

Banned
maybe a hardware upscaler would help ?

andyr300

pic is much sharper with component cable, looks very good on my 42" PWD8, too sharp if anything, think i need to tweak it down a bit.

component cables can be had on ebay for around £8, thats what i got and its very good.

disney_cjd

if i could get mine to actually work then I woudl be able to tell you how cool it is on the 50inch panny

but it dont work at the moment :(

D

dmckillop

I had the Wii connected by SCART to my 37" Panny PV500 and it looked ok, not great, but ok for SD. I've now moved it to my 50" Samsung PS50P96FDX and it looks terrible. The Samsung only has one Component input and my Xbox 360 makes good use of that.

I was looking at getting the component cable and a splitter - Joytech Control Centre 540C. Although it's a bit big, like having another Xbox under the TV. So I might just buy the component cable and move the Wii upstairs with the Panny screen.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
I was looking at getting the component cable and a splitter - Joytech Control Centre 540C. Although it's a bit big, like having another Xbox under the TV. So I might just buy the component cable and move the Wii upstairs with the Panny screen.

I would do some research before buying the Joytech 540C as it's been getting a lot of negative feedback from people who have used it.

babybearbarker

Playing mine on a 50" pioneer 7th gen plasma and it looks really nice - currently playing super paper mario and it looks lovely and fun. RE4 looks great as well, can't wait to play REUC on a big screen with the lights out !

Oh, using component too.

D

dmckillop

According to someone selling a 540C on eBay, Joytech have confirmed it doesn't work with the Wii.

They could be losing a large part of the market without Wii support :eek: They ought to get a firmware patch out asap.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
No VGA lead for the Wii? That would be preferable because our component inputs are in use by the Xbox.

There is no VGA option for the Wii. You could always use VGA for the Xbox and component for the Wii or the other option is to get a component switch box.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom