1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using a PTAE200 & Pro V/+

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bassbin, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I ordered my projector last week with a 92" screen and have been reading up on how to set it up. I'm going to make a ceiling mount for it and I'm also planning on buying a Pro V+ to improve images from Freeview adn Laserdisc.

My question is should i connect my Toshiba DVD player (SD330) via component direct to the projector or S-Vid via the Pro V+? Most of the threads I've read refer to the PTAE100 and suggest that the component input isn't up to much so Pro V is the way to go. Just wondered what other PTAE200 owners have gone for.

Thanks,

BB

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    I have an AE100, but should be similar. I'd go component.

The AE isn't that good with direct S-video, but component should be fine.

The ProV (which I also have) is good for s-video only sources - I use it for sky/Tivo, but it does bring in a little softness, which I don't see when using component from my DVD player.

So Component for DVD, think about proV for sky, consoles etc via S-video.

3. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    That's pretty much what I thought until I started reading older threads in which several members didn't rate the component input on the AE100. Any AE200 owners out there that can shed any light on this?

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the reason the "component" input on the AE100 wasn't "rated" was because it was so much better when driven via VGA from a HCPC, pixel mapped 1:1.

Hence the VGA input was better.

Not universally better though - the Pro V (standard) only output XGA (1024x768) via VGA so the PJ had to scale this to its native resolution.

Component from your Toshiba is the best option for your AE200.

:smoke:

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    Actually, I tried the HCPC route with a 1:1 pixel mapping last week, and found it only marginally better, if at all. I was comparing with progressive scan component from a philips 963SA

Not enough of an improvement to justify switching to PC anyway. That can wait until I get a higher res projector.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AE100 via VGA from HCPC (1:1 mapped) trounces EVERY other source/connection. Night & day difference.

Not just my opinion either - widely accepted fact ;)

7. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for the clarification Kramer. I'll go ahead and order a 10m component lead from CPC and then add the Pro V+ when I've paid off the dent the PJ and screen have put in my bank account.

I like the idea of building a HCPC but probably won't get a chance to put in the time and effort until Christmas. At the moment I just can't wait to to get some big screen experiance as our RPTV feels very small now.