Anyone using a Marantz SR7005 and a Panasonic Plasma TV?

LeeC

Ex Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bit of help, to solve a problem I have got. I currently have my SR7005 connected to a Samsung UE40B7020. For 12 months, I have been fighting with both Marantz and Samsung, to fix the problem that exists between these two items. The problem is that the upscaler technology in the SR7005 causes all sorts of visible glitching, because apparently (according to Marantz), Samsung have not implemented HDMI 1.3 protocols properly, causing handshaking issues. They say this is a known issue between certain Marantz and Denon products, when connected to certain Samsung 7000 and 8000 series TVs.

The solution to this seems to be "buy another TV", as neither Marantz nor Samsung seem to be doing anything to resolve this known issue. Well, Marantz say there is nothing they can do as it's a TV problem, and Samsung say absolutely nothing. So I am looking at getting the Panasonic TX-P50VT50B, but obviously, I don't want to spend around £1800, and get the same problem.

So my question is... is anyone using the Marantz SR7005, with any of the Panasonic VT range plasmas, and having any problems with the video upscaler? The problems will be, occasional white flashes, brief screens of static, blank screens for a few seconds, Blu-Ray movies playing at 1920x1080 @ 50Hz, instead of 24Hz... anything like that?

Any help is much appreciated, as I can't really afford to make a mistake with this amount of money. I've tried the SR7005 on a 32" LG TV, and the problem is not present, but that doesn't guarantee that Panasonic TVs won't have the problem.

Thanks
Lee

Why not just turn off the upscaling in the amp? Your TV or source will upscale just as well anyway so you are not gaining anything by upscaling in the amp. Turn it off and then you save yourself £1.8k on a new TV but solve the problem.

Why not just turn off the upscaling in the amp? Your TV or source will upscale just as well anyway so you are not gaining anything by upscaling in the amp. Turn it off and then you save yourself £1.8k on a new TV but solve the problem.

Because there is on-screen information, that only appears when the upscaler is being used. So if you turn it off, you lose the ability to see things like the the volume level. I am sat around 13 feet away from the amp, and trying to see the tiny display at that distance (with my eyes) is impossible.

So you are in fact gaining something, by having this feature turned on... I presume you don't have this amp?

Plus I am also interested in getting a bigger/3D TV, as I am selling my projector.

No I do not have the Marantz amp but tend to use my ears to decide the volume to select more than the number on the front of the amp (or on the screen).

Plus I am also interested in getting a bigger/3D TV, as I am selling my projector.

Have you also tested the amp with your PJ? If the issue doesn't persist with either an LG TV or your PJ then don't you think it more than likely that Marantz are telling you the truth in relation to what they are saying about the Samsung TVs? Plus you say you've been fighting with "both" Samsung and Marantz, yet Marantz are the only one of the 2 to even bother to give you an answer. You'll find that Samsung will not because if they confirm it is an inherent issue with their products then they are obliged to rectify the issue in accordance with UK consumer law, not only in your case, but in relation to every TV they sold with this issue.

If you do buy a Panasonic TV and it does have a similar issue then you are within your rights to return it, especially if purchasing online or over the telephone whereby you do not even need a reason to return goods.

Did you think to ask Marantz as to whether or not they'd had issues with the SR7005 when used in conjunction with Panasonic TVs?

Last edited:
No I do not have the Marantz amp but tend to use my ears to decide the volume to select more than the number on the front of the amp (or on the screen).

Good in theory, but consider the hypothetical movie that starts off quiet, and then progresses to booming sounds. I know that my music works at 50, my DVDs and Blu-Ray work at 68, and Sky usually at 71... hence my reliance on what I see, rather than what I can hear at a particular moment in time. I also have a hearing problem, that can cause fluctuations on how those levels sound, but I know those levels are "safe" as far as my neighbours are concerned. I get what you are saying, but sound isn't a one size fits all scenario, for all people.

dante01: Yeah, I tried with an LG as part of the lengthy diagnostics I was going through with Marantz. They hadn't encountered any issues with other sets, but there is no guarantee that everyone with those "other" sets, has the same Marantz/Denon, and can isolate the problem to an amp/TV problem. Initially, it was presumed to be a layer switching issue, with my UD7006, but with various tests, it was narrowed down to an amp/tv issue. It took about six months of me running tests, recording videos, submitting reports etc... before we finally worked it out. As a professional software developer, diagnostics and fault finding are a second-nature process.

I bought my whole setup from Superfi in Stockport, and had considerable help from the manager and staff. I will be buying the TV from there, and will be able to take the SR7005 in, to test it. I was just trying to get some pre-emptive information, to avoid them ordering a set that won't work... and me having to remove all the cables I have attached to my amp.

I'm simply trying to reduce the odds of it all going pear shaped, and to get all my components, working with all the features I paid for. It's a £1,400 amp, I'd like to be use it as it should.

I have the Marantz SR 6003 connected to a Panasonic TX-P50GT30B and have no handshaking issues, or any other issues. There is the odd occasion when all three devices, Oppo blu ray, amp and tv are switched on together, a white flash will be visible for a nanosecond. I have always assumed this was normal while the devices synch with one another and for that reason have never given it a moment's thought. I think that even this small glitch can be corrected by the sequence of the devices switching on. So, no, not a problem for me.

Last edited:
Ah, thank you... that is the kind of thing I was hoping to hear. :smashin:

You're probably right about the white flash and the synch. I think the amp polls the TV for its EDID information, and reacts accordingly, setting the right resolution and refresh rate. My Samsung doesn't handle that polling correctly, and at various points during a film or TV show, it seems to lose the plot. As a result, that white flash you see, can appear at any point, once or multiple times, during a programme. Usually followed by up to four seconds of a black screen. Annoying, as I am sure you can imagine.

You're welcome. It might also be worth posting in the appropriate Panasonic TV forum. Surprised the Marantz amp's aren't more popular than the are. Probably the lack of flashing lights and knobs puts a few off!!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom