1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using a DALI SWA12 sub woofer?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Gary Lightfoot, Oct 26, 2001.

1. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    After testing out my PDR10 in my loft theater (it usualy lives in the lounge), I've decided I need a sub up there. It gave more depth to the sound, and made my bass shakers feel more beleivable (they give a lot of shake!).

I just happenned to be looking at What Hi-Fi, and saw the Hyperfi ads. In there I saw the Dali sub - it has 160w and seems good value. What Hi-Fi gave it a reasonable 4stars in August 2000, but I haven't read the review, so I don't know what frequency it goes down to, or what its shortfalls were.

The PDR10 goes down to 27hz, and as I could hear the diference it made to my existing speakers which go down to 38hz, I know this can't be far wrong. So I need another sub like the PDR10, but with more power - I don't like running things at full tilt, cos they tend to go bang a lot sooner than something that is less stressed.

The Kef 30b looked good, but only goes down to about 40hz and is only 100w, so I'm not sure if that willl give me the extra bass I need.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Gary.

2. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I have one from when I * ahem * won a Dali Blue 5.1 surround set from one of the Hi-Fi magazines last year. :D

What do you want to know?

3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What's your budget like Gary?

Dunc

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    Thanks for the replies guys, but my original post was 27/10/01, and I've long since bought one!! :)

I'm surprised it's resurfaced!

Cheers.

Gary.

5. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    D'oh!
    My fault. I did a search on Dali, looking to see if anyone else had their setup and failed to look at the date posted.

:D

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    That's OK Boink. :)

How is the sub anyway?

Anything to compare it with to give us an idea to it's performance?

It might be a viable alternative to the more 'known' brands out there.

Gary.

7. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    To tell you the truth, it's the only one I have heard [and owned]. I bought a sound meter and am considering rearranging my setup, which means the sub will be opposite the seating inbetween the main speakers.

To tell the truth, my system probably is not setup correctly, but I do have a hell of a lot of fun with it.

Boink¬!

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,123
    I put my first sub (which is in my lounge) next to the sofa between it and a wall. It works really well there - lots of bass and the bass is also transmitted through the floorboards into the sofa.

Excellent effect for explosions because it shakes the sofa and anyone sitting in it. :)

When I did my dedicated room I got an SPL meter to balance the speakers and sub (which I also placed by the seating). Because it's my loft, and I have bass shakers in the seats, I didn't need to have the sub by the seating, so I moved it to under the screen between the main speakers.

Setting it up was quite straight forward, though I did up the bass level a tad for my own personal prefference, and I did the same with the four rears too - the rear effects seemed muted in comparison to my lounge setup, even though all the levels were equal.

I think the accoustics of my loft might have something to do with it when there is sound coming from the front speakers - it seems to overcome the rears a little so have a priority effect. Increasing the rears by a couple of db seemed to balance it out and the back surrounds can be heard now, whereas before they were barely perceptible above the side surrounds.

When just using test tones for perfect balance at 75db, things seemed fine though.

Definately use an SPL to get things set up, but dont take it as red that it will be ideal. It wan't for me, so try upping settings if you feel they aren't right for you.

Gary.

9. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to correct you on the Kef 30b, i'm sure it goes down to less than 40htz as my 20b goes down to 36htz (on website) my 20b has also been tested by Kef who measured it at 20htz +/-3db at their factory (they plotted a graph and sent it to me)

I expect the 30b to go a bit lower than to 20b as it is a larger box.