1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone used/using a D-VHS on an HS10.?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by museumsteve, May 29, 2003.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Is so, any problems hooking it up.? Just starting reading some interesting things about it and wondered if HS10 has any problems with 1080i without messing around. Also a link to UK sites selling D-VHS players would be nice.:) Failing that, anyone got one to sell.;) and tapes of course..

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You wouldn't be trying to encourage trading outside the appropriate forum now would you steve :lesson:

Not used a d-theatre machine but have seen HD stuff on the HS10 (1080i/720p) &

it's nice.... :eek:

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  4. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    lol...no mate..(honest) :devil:
    I'm just like many of the guys here and have a habit of wasting money. Whilst I'm not specifically looking to buy one yet, if someone said they had one to get rid of then I may consider it just to try it out.:)

anyway ;) my main concern is how the HS10 will cope with 1080i as plug n play through component. If I knew the PJ would handle it with no qualms at all then I probably would jump at it cos the idea of things like Independence Day in 1080i seems pretty mouth watering to me..;)

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    oh well, true to style I've just gone and ordered one through a US supplier. If it works out okay I may even bring some in to retail.;)
    I'm gagging to see ID4 in 1080i.;)

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Steve

Wish I'd known as I'd have asked you to get me one too. And btw you can get the tapes through www.dvdboxoffice.com and at pretty good prices too :)

Neil

7. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    have you got one then Messiah.?

Something I want to find out for sure, include, will the HS10 see 1080i with no issues and as a full widescreen output and none of this PC res rubbish (might be simple question but then I thought Quadscan Elite would be simple).

Finally, where should there be a post on the subject oif D-VHS and D-Theatre stuff.??

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question :confused: HDTV?

I see Li On over at avs has said that the T2 HD version (WMP9) rubbishes the d-vhs equalivent :eek:

Looks like d-theatre will be joining the ranks of DCC (remember that :D ) once MS get their teeth into this area & deliver more & more stuff.

:p

9. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I can understand that, but of course it will be a long time (IMO) before home cinema is completely HTPC driven.
    I for one may never go that way.;)

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    No don't have one yet but would like one. Saw some HD stuff at Rolands week before last on a CRT and it was mind blowing. Only problem was DVD then looked cack :)

Give us a call and maybe you can get me one too. And I agree, whilst MS may indeed try to control this are as well it will be a long time before it does away with stand alone players - IMO.

11. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I posted a thread a while back with some HD screen caps with the concern that a few HS10 owners in australia have noticed the HS10 simply doesnt like 1080i at 50hz, it looses sync every few minutes.

Our problem here is we have 2 digital set top boxes which output HD like this, both from the same company, and sony says its the STB's at fault. But, take the same STB's and they work FINE on other sony LCD's and CRT's and other brand projectors with no other issues reported........

So im a bit worried when HD really takes off here early next year....as we have very very limited HD here at the moment

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't comment on STB HD on the HS10 (all HD I've fed the HS10 has been from a HCPC via DVI), but...

Very limited? Try no HD :eek: That's unfortunately the situation of all HS10 owners here in Europe (apart from the resourceful ones ;) ).

Best of luck with your problems.

:smoke:

13. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If the WM9 format is to take off, MS will have to licence the encoding/decoding software to the film industry and to maufacturers - then there's the issue of encoding the sound track, negotiating with Dolby, DTS etc.

At least the new format will fit on a DVD, so there's not a market acceptance issue with the software, I guess it's more of an issue of how soon we will see DVD players which will play "WM9" format in addition to all the other stuff.........

There can be no doubt that it would be brill - but whether it will be come mainstream, I don't know. Essentially, DVD relaeases would have to stay in their normal format, maybe 2 disc releases would include the WM9 format with them. One would think the MS would be bringing some serious marketing clout to this type of venture, but let's remember that our view as enthusiasts is very different from what the marketing community views as mainstream attitude - while close relations think my movie room is great, and jaws drop at movies and sports on the big screen, they have no great interest in DVD (rent videos and are happy enough with the picture quality - when you show them DVD they say "oh that's nice, and you don't have to re-wind it") and they're not alone. There's lots of people out there who are just getting into having DVD players - we're the "early adopters" so Iwhile I'd love to be able to get my sweaty little paws on HD stuff, I think it'll be quite some time (and some industry struggles) before it's a mainstream format.

The real breakthrough would be access from mainstream TV sources, as in the US and Japan - an opportunity for someone to upload/download from the US to Europe - will we see ads for subscription to HBO Europe ??? Now that's where the real development will come............droooooooooooool !

All the best,

Sean G.

14. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to confirm Beta's comments - our Aussie HS10's do not like the 1080i/50hz from our one and only HDTV STB - they lose sync and you get a 'frequency out of range' message or similar. The very same STB's seem to work OK with other PJ's including Sony's VW12 so I would be a bit wary about spending large sums on a 1080i source only to find the HS10 can't cope with it.
    OTOH, I would really like to see if this works or not - if the HS10 doesn't work with this HDTV source then Sony cannot blame two different manufacturers for what is (IMHO) an HS10 problem...

BTW, Ch7 in Australia broadcast Armageddon in HD mode last week - FWIW the picture was good but (IMHO) not fantastic and the sound was plain old ordinary DD2.0 but ch7 are not known for their enthusiastic support of HDTV down under

15. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Museumsteve

If it doesn't work rest assured you have a buyer for it :) (Hoping for you it does though)

Neil

16. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    hehe..;)
    I'm sure it'll be fine mate. I guess 50hz wont come into it anyway as will only be watching NTSC tapes.
    I have a feeling I may be bringing these in real soon..:)

17. beta

beta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0