Anyone used this optical cable?

scookar

bu5ter

Thats would be fine I cannot see why an optical cable would need to cost loads of money I cannot see how one would be better than another other than build quality.....

stevelup

Distinguished Member
Any optical cable is the same as any other one.

The 50 pence ones from CPC work just as well as the £50 ones!

RBJTech

a 1 is 1 and a 0 is a 0 regardless of how it gets there, be it plastic optics or glass. Silly distances (we are talking Km here) need quality optics but for home audio (10's of Metres max) any optics will do. Same for digital coax - use a bit of T&E and it will work EXACTLY the same but I'm not opening up that can of worms again ...:devil:

scookar

Thanks a lot for the responses guys. You have saved me at least a tenner!

Cheers. :smashin:

T0rNaDo

scookar said:
Thanks a lot for the responses guys. You have saved me at least a tenner!

Cheers. :smashin:

cool that mean u buying the beers then ! :)

:clap:

Stompy

As long as the light can get from one end to the other it doesnt make a blind bit of difference. This was proved by the guy who made a longer optical cable by sellotaping two shorter ones together.

ssuellid

You do get errors with using optical connection - usually at the physical interface the cable plugs into. In the cable has been finished badly at the ends then the interface between cable and socket will not be and good. Easy to think of a comparison with a window if its etched or finished badly then your not going to see well through it.

I unfortunately worked on a commerical digital audio product where one of the product design engineers had presumed that an optical interface was 'perfect' and it lead to loads of problems.

baldrick

Teeerex said:
a 1 is 1 and a 0 is a 0 regardless of how it gets there, be it plastic optics or glass. Silly distances (we are talking Km here) need quality optics but for home audio (10's of Metres max) any optics will do. Same for digital coax - use a bit of T&E and it will work EXACTLY the same but I'm not opening up that can of worms again ...:devil:

Tell that to the guys on here who are searching for the perfect digital coax with the right mix of warmth and air with just enough tightness and slightly faster bass! Of course, it all goes pear shaped if you don't burn in properly first.........

phils_wicked

baldrick said:
Tell that to the guys on here who are searching for the perfect digital coax with the right mix of warmth and air with just enough tightness and slightly faster bass! Of course, it all goes pear shaped if you don't burn in properly first.........

Do I detect a hint of cynisim? :D

Anywho, lets not open that old argument eh. The only thing you need to sometimes check with an optical cable is that the connections fit.........other than that, keep it uber cheap!

baldrick

phils_wicked said:
Do I detect a hint of cynisim? :D

Potentially! ;)

For digital coax, just make sure it's well made with quality components and you can't go far wrong.

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Connectors are one issue. Cheap fibre often have poor conduction at ends as well as micro breaks. The glass ones are much better in this respect if you are lucky enough to be able to use them, currently I am surrounded by masses of optic fibres, and all is not rosey.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom