1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone used these?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by fzlths, Oct 19, 2005.

1. fzlths

fzlths
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Got it, or thinking about getting it? Not the UK model.

3. MAT365

MAT365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so what's the the disadvantage of not getting the UK model??

4. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Warranty. Ask them what happens if it goes wrong.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Piers, all, I have a UK 50" and a euro 50" standing in the store. The box contents are now identical, except for the continental plug. Oh, and a pile of multi language instructions. The euro ones used to come with a warranty booklet, UK ones came with none. Now all come with the same 'Pan European' warranty booklet, with what seems to be a list of numbers for all EC countries. I used to work for a UK dealer who imported himself, we used to get a couple of pallet loads a week. Back then, he kept it secret, no idea why, but was able to undercut the market. Now, I can't quite see the point with a PWD8, there is little or nothing in it UK or Europe. Different with the HD models, there is a real saving to be made. Warranties ARE transfrerrable between EU countries, there should be no problem with this deal. I just can't see why they'd bother.

6. MAT365

MAT365

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think The validity of a product guarantee across EU borders is a particularly interesting point.
    Especially since the EU is very protective of cross border trading, they seem to be very agressive in taking every possible legal step to ensure an open and unrestricted market.

e.g
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/821620.stm

Maw I agree with you
    At the present their are some fuzzy areas, however I think you will find that many suppliers do usually support guarantee's agreements across borders, assuming that the good's have originated from a EU country.
    Most Panasonic electrical goods sold on the continent are shipped with a free pan European 24 month guarantee.
    Details of this guarantee are listed on their German web site (Panasonic European marketing headquarters is in Germany).
    In the terms and conditions on the guarantee there is a statement at the end :

"8. Selbstverständlich können Sie diese Leistungen auch in Anspruch nehmen, wenn Sie das Gerät in andere
    Länder der Europäischen Union, des Europäischen Wirtschaftsraums oder die Türkei verbringen. Bitte
    wenden Sie sich dort an die nationale Vertriebsgesellschaft (s. Anlage)."

This roughly translated states -

8. Of course the terms of this support are also applicable, when the equipment is taken to another European country within the EU or EA or Turkey.
    In this respect please contact the national sales office there(see list).

Of course you should still be cautious about taking other people's advice from a forum however well meaning it might be, particularly when you are spending so much pocket money.

For this reason if you are still interested in taking this route, I would recommend firstly that you check that it comes with a pan European guarantee, secondly it would seems sensible to e:mail the UK Panasonic customer support team at the address given on their web site asking for further clarification.