Anyone used these, and comment?

MrMav11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used one of these RJ45 to Wireless devices and had success?

Current setup I may need something like this and wondering if they are worth it.

It’s for a NAS I have which isn’t used extensively, I use it for backup as well, but sometimes as a Plex server.

Not sure if they work, and if they would be good enough for streaming

I’m also reading that when it’s turned off it has to be setup again? If so this would be awkward as I normally now switch off the NAS as isn’t used for days.

AR11N -300 Wifi Bridge Cable Convert RJ45 Ethernet Port to Wireless WiFi Dongle Repeater Amazon product ASIN B07TND8849
Vonets VAP11G-300 2.4GHz WiFi Bridge/WiFi to Ethernet Adapter with Repeater Function Internal Antennas 1 WiFi RJ45 Male Perfect for Security System Electronic Scale IP Printer Network Devices Amazon product ASIN B093RSQK89

Well, a 300Mbps might achieve in reality around 50Mbps depending on how far it is from the router; you might get up to 80Mbps with a prevailing wind, then again could be lower.

That's megabits so it might be ok for streaming Plex for non 4K sources but in trying to copy files around and doing backups not so much. It's 6.25Megabytes per second as Windows would show it. That's going to take quite a while to shift stuff.

Would it not be easier to move it nearer your router, even if temporary for the times you do a backup?

Thanks for reply.

It would be easier to move I agree, it’s just where the router is now is a little awkward. Suppose backup I could use a Ethernet cable direct for the odd backup.

For Plex I was wondering if it would work, what I don’t like though is if you have to reset/setup every time there is a power off. With me not using it much I tend now to switch it off.

If you can run a cable then do that else I would be more inclined to get an old wifi router and put it in bridge mode.

Something like this should be suitable, dual band AC and has gigabit ethernet. Might even accept £40 for it.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If you can run a cable then do that else I would be more inclined to get an old wifi router and put it in bridge mode.

Something like this should be suitable, dual band AC and has gigabit ethernet. Might even accept £40 for it.
Ah ok didn’t know could do this. So any older router can do this? So basically my home WiFi will connect to the router, which in turn is wired connected to my NAS?

Do you think above would be better than powerline? Got older powerline but never really had much success with them and always felt like it was slowing down my whole network.

Thanks

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Ah ok didn’t know could do this. So any older router can do this? So basically my home WiFi will connect to the router, which in turn is wired connected to my NAS?

Do you think above would be better than powerline? Got older powerline but never really had much success with them and always felt like it was slowing down my whole network.

Thanks
Generally Ethernet > Powerline > WiFi

But aside from Ethernet the others are really dependant on your property and were equipment is located.

And yes, most old routers should be OK. What is the make and model of your old router ?

My current router is a BT smart hub 2 which has (apparently) decent WiFi. I’d need a RJ45 to WiFi that matches this presume, not sure if any available in this case.

Can’t remember my old router, think was a d-link I’d have to dig out to have a look.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom