anyone used the antec sonata case?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by cowtipper, Sep 26, 2004.

1. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone used the antec sonata case as fi so what do you think of it?

and how quiet is it really as my AV rack sits next to my sofa so i need a really quiet case.

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    It's a good case, although I'm not convinced it's inherently that quiet - it's very dependant on the components you put into it. But with the right kit in there (Silenx PSU, CPU cooler and quiet case fans from quietpc.com), you certainly woudn't hear it from your sofa - it's eerily quiet !

Cheers, Carl.

3. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I used to use an Antec Sonata. I agree with Carl's comments it's a good starting point but you will also need to use quiet comments. I didn't feel the need to change the supplied psu or case fan for my application but this will depend on what cpu you intend to use etc. I changed the case for an Antec Overture which is a desktop version. This is not as quiet as the Sonata and required a few mods to achieve the same results.

4. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Very quiet - well built and easy to work on.

5. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Out of interest, what mods did you make? I added some sound absorbing material, but I can still hear it. Cheers.

6. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm using one of these at the moment and will echo the others comments above, it's a lovely looking case (nice shiney black case) which comes with a very good (and pretty quiet) psu but you might need to replace this if your going for a really high-end system.

I find the sonata good for cutting down on case vibration noise but as the others have said you will need to fill it with quiet components if you want a silent pc. Make sure you have or get a quiet cpu cooler, a good heatsink for your gfx card and a motherboard with a heatsink on the northbridge chip instead of a fan... You might also want to get another 120mm quiet case fan as the sonata only comes with one.

Regards,
    Iain.

7. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I use one at the moment and as standard it is a quiet case. You can get it even more quiet by changing bits as well but that's extra. As I said for an unmoded case it's vgood. :thumbsup:

8. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The case? Absolutely silent. The internal parts, on the other hand...

Now where's me coat? :rolleyes:

Even several months after building this system, just about everyone that visits still comments on how quiet it is (oh, and how nice). I still think that it has a long way to go; but when I compare it with my old Pentium 2 system and the similar Athlon systems owned by my brother and a friend, then I can see their point. Having said that, even at low volume levels, the fan noise soon disappears. And I'm fussy! Bat ears or something... :laugh:

I should add that in my case (no pun... please!), the greatest contribution to decibel output comes from the whine of the Radeon 9000 Pro's fan. Upgrade imminent! Upgrade imminent! Er, anyway... even the 'stock' AMD fan doesn't seem too bad, with the Sonata's large and relatively slow-turning 120mm fan helping to keep the distractions down. Of course, there's always room for improvement... this is AV Forums! :D

9. cowtipper

cowtipper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cool looks like i will be purchasing 1

my htpc sits about 3.5 feet away from my sofa ( in hind sight this was a bad move but the WAF was high she wanted just the plasma on the 1 wall and i must admit it does look cool and before i wondered into HTPC land it was not a problem but you stick 2 60mm fans 3.5 ft away from head and it becomes a problem )
    so like i said i really need it to be as quiet as possible as the micro atx case i am using at the moment due to its "SFF" cooling is a problem so i cant slow the fans down enough to have a quiet life.

i have got a 9600 fanless GPU
    an artic cooling copper slient 2
    and a heatsink on the northbridge so i am hoping that this will be quiet enough
    i am thinking about buying the foam silencing kit to try and make it even quieter
    and adding in the other 120mm fan just to try and keep things cool

if this does not work i think i will throw the towel in on the HTPC :-(

10. eddie_talbot

eddie_talbot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have owned an Antec Sonata for 18 months or so, and tried to make it the quietest system I could.

To this end I put a Zalman copper cooler on my ATI Radeon 9000 gfx card, used a Zalman flower cooler on the CPU, and made sure I bought a motherboard without a fan on the Northbridge (an Asus A7N8X Deluxe). Then I installed a Seagate Barracuda ATA 5 Hard drive.

I only have three fans inside the case therefore - the PSU, the Zalman CPU cooler fan and the rear case fan.

It's pretty quiet to be honest compared to most PCs (although not silent) and at night I still prefer to have the PC switched off in my room.

Only complaint about the Antec Sonata is that the original front door (a horrid plastic thing) broke off less than a week after having bought it. Recently I was able to get a replacement but I still don't trust it not to break again.

Also there are a couple of errors for the wiring in the Antec manual, one of which only got recently corrected.

At the moment I use this PC for general use (like writing this post!) but eventually I'm going to re-assign it to HTPC duties if/when I get around to doing it.

11. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Nothing very clever. I chopped out the psu fan grille. I also reduced the speed of the psu fan. From memory I think I connected it to the connector labelled 'PSU' against Antec's recommendations. In effect this gives two lots of speed control in series. I use a Zalman 7000A-ALCU cpu cooler which is very quiet at the low speeds required for my (AMD XP+2200).

12. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    Cheers. I may give that a try myself this weekend.

13. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,045
    Cowtipper i'd imagine you will be okay with that. I to have an antec sonata that is currently about 4ft away from my seating position and is very quiet. The loudest noise coming from it is the dvd drive, which i will replace soon, so mainly watch a movie from the hard drive.

14. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hmm I have roughly the same spec and find my setup quite noisy, maybe its my old WD 40GB hard drive? any ideas? would the accoustic pack help?

15. eddie_talbot

eddie_talbot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good question CrispyXUK, I've been thinking about buying that for some time - it's £33 from QuietPC which sounds like a fair amount of money for just a lot of foam ! So I'm umming and aahing on it.

You can also get completely fan-free PSUs now from manufacturers such as Silentmaxx and Yesico. They're tempting, although my PC is actually inside a wooden cupboard with not a great deal of airflow. I'm not sure whether it would be wise.

16. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +842
    I think the foam may help some, but swapping out the WD drive and replacing with a seagate baracuda drive was more beneficial for me. Also the foam may make it warmer, and so your fans may run faster.