1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone used techtronics.com

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nigel_williams, Jan 9, 2002.

1. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm about to buy a projector, probably from Techtronics as they seem to be the cheapest.

Has anyone used them before?

2. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nigel, you should check the Techtronics thread on the dvdforums, you will get a good idea of what they are like. I purchased off them and would never again. They have not heard of customer service, in my and many others opinion.

I seem to remember the prices on the website don't include VAT so they look cheaper.

3. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yep. I posted there too and got a VERY negative response.

They advertise the VW11 for £3,299 +VAT (£3,864) which is very cheap - they even confirmed this by e-mail.

Best price I got before that was Sound & Vision in Bolton, £4,100. Maybe I'll use them with Barclaycard!

4. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You might like to check out go2camcorder:

http://www.go2camcorder.co.uk

They have the VW11HT listed for £3,800 inc VAT.

I found them through pricerunner, and have no personal experience of them, good or bad.

Anyone else care to comment?

---Dave

5. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my Pioneer 636D from Techtronics and had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Cheapest price, with all the multiregion mods (inc. the Macrovision stuff) and quick delivery.

Of course, because the player's been OK, I haven't had to deal with customer service - so others might have a different story.

6. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this was the firm that I was going to buy a camcorder off but they sold imports from Germany. Best to check 1st

7. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There is a small worry of grey imports but how different are they? As long as they are covered by a warranty, you should be OK.

I think the Barclaycard route wil be best here, buy from a reasonable supplier and hope BC will refund the difference AND give you an extra year on the warranty.

Can't seem to access the go2camcorder site

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    What's wrong with Germany?

Unlike TVs and many other types of video hardware, the VW10 (and, therefore, I presume, the VW11) is identical wherever it is sold - the only difference is in the mains lead (which has the wrong plug on it). The power supply is multivoltage so the slight difference in mains voltage in Germany makes no odds. Unlike TVs etc., it doesn't have to be tweaked by some erk with a soldering iron because of differing broadcast standards.

FWIW, I actually bought my VW10 from a German retailer (HiFi Regler) via the web - at the time it was about 25% cheaper than the best UK price I could get. No VAT or duty issues, either, as they are in the EEC. I reckoned that, with the saving of about £1350, if there was a problem, I could afford to fly out there and take it back in person - business class - twice - and still be on top. As it happens, 20 months and 830 hours later, it is still working fine.

Rip off Britain.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Techtronics? Do me a favour! I bought two players off them over the past few years and had no problems. Bought a Tosh SD900E (NOT a cheap player) from them a few months back and had no end of problems. Customer service does not exist. I had money taken from my account when they were out of stock, I had the faulty player returned when I'd asked for a refund, I've been lied to and basically cheated.

I've spouted off many times on this forum about my adventures in the land of Techtronics but I never tire of telling people of my experiences. Avoid like the plague. Don't be a victim.

10. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Ouch guys are Techtronics really that bad, I must of had a near miss then, nearly bought from them.......:eek:

11. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  12. martyn54

martyn54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't slagging them in my post, just making people aware that they are grey imports. When I phoned to inquire about the camcoder I wanted, they told me straight away they were imported from Germany. The problem was, it came with no editing software and they had no stock.

I have no problem with grey imports so long as it has the same or better spec.

As nigel said 'Rip off Britain'