anyone used 'motorway' to sell their car?

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at either swapping my car or at least getting rid of mine temporarily (we have another in the house I can use). perhaps with hindsight should have done this a year ago, but I think I'm unlikely to use it for at least a few more months.

I'm on finance (PCP) and if I sold privately, based just on parkers estimate, that should settle the finance. But then you get into all the aggro/risk/faff/spam associated with eg putting an ad in autotrader

One alternative is a third party buyer. We buy any car offered a crappy price, but motorway (via parkers) offers quite a bit more. I was wondering how accurate that is, and whether its just a decent price to lure you in and then they'll drop the offer significantly. I'd still have to cover a bit of negative equity but that might be worth it for getting it sorted quickly and easily.

Has anyone used or know someone that used motorway and had any good/bad experiences - both from their service but also the accuracy of their offers?

I've only read positives recently as looking to sell mine.
They offered £250 less then wbac for me.
I did put my actual email in and fake number though and have had an email a day asking to get in touch to sell so not sure if that's good or bad!
A lease dealer told me that these and wbac are not as bad at knocking prices down anymore as there is so much competition for them they need to be competitive.
I hope to hear some more feedback.

thanks. £2k difference between these and WBAC for me! (WBAC lower). Maybe motorway have access to more detail on the car so they can take into account options etc?

thanks. £2k difference between these and WBAC for me! (WBAC lower). Maybe motorway have access to more detail on the car so they can take into account options etc?

Have you tried evans halshaw, they always seem to quote more than wbac do.

On my aged CRV wbac offered £150, and Evans Halshaw quoted £600. So I drove down to Reading whereupon they offered £300 due to lack of service history (which they knew it didn't have when they quoted £600) and the odd scuff mark. The guy I dealt with had the good grace to look embarrassed... I accepted it, as it was still better than wbac and I didn't want to have to take it back home.

I used Motorway 18 months ago when I was selling my Audi Avant prior to taking delivery of a Model 3, my move into EV world.

My experience with Motorway was very positive, they offered approx £2k more than WBAC, sent a nice chap to inspect and pick up the car at my home and paid via bank transfer before driving the car off. No attempt to knock the valuation down. Excellent, I'd highly recommend them.

I put my previous car on tootle, motorway and sellcar. Motorway phoned me couple of times and the calls were little odd. They tried to talk me down and get me to commit. In the end it was tootle that got the job done. All offered more than wbac.

@interbear @anticlaus105 I decided to put my car on with Motorway.co.uk today. Unfortunately my hubby decided to play his PS5 loudly in the background and I could not hear some of what was said. I have sent them photos and agreed to a reserve price. I thinks the lady said I have to agree to some items on an email before they put it up for sale. Is this right or is the email after the sale? They are closed until Monday now so just thought I would ask since I am not sure there is something i still need to do since I have not received an email.

I did everything online and then recieved a couple of calls from them. I was in work so couldn't spend long on the call. I got the impression they were trying to lower my expectations and get me to commit to a lower price. It went for more through tootle. I would just use all to see who was best. My car was immaculate so there was no haggling when collection chap showed up, just immediate payment.

@interbear @anticlaus105 I decided to put my car on with Motorway.co.uk today. Unfortunately my hubby decided to play his PS5 loudly in the background and I could not hear some of what was said. I have sent them photos and agreed to a reserve price. I thinks the lady said I have to agree to some items on an email before they put it up for sale. Is this right or is the email after the sale? They are closed until Monday now so just thought I would ask since I am not sure there is something i still need to do since I have not received an email.

Hi there - I recall having to complete a quite detailed online form with photos of the car exterior, interior, wheels etc. After that I had some emails to confirm offers / pricing and to organise pick up. All seemed quite reasonable to me. Pretty sure the email you are referring to is to confirm that you are ok with their conditions of sale / process / payment. In my experience that was all fine.

Hi there - I recall having to complete a quite detailed online form with photos of the car exterior, interior, wheels etc. After that I had some emails to confirm offers / pricing and to organise pick up. All seemed quite reasonable to me. Pretty sure the email you are referring to is to confirm that you are ok with their conditions of sale / process / payment. In my experience that was all fine.
Thanks for the reply. I did all the photos and forms then called them after submitting it. I read that they put the car up for the dealers to bid on and you hear by 3pm. Will call them tomorrow to see if the car is definitely up for sale with them.

All sorted. Cars up for sale today so will see what comes of it. I have a backup plan otherwise.

Car sold for a good price and being collected Wednesday. Bit earlier than I expected but means I will need to get a taxi to work and back for a few days until my new car arrives. Will also have to leave my dashcam cables hardwired in. Was going to get them removed this Friday by an install company but have cancelled that due to timescales. Hopefully I can get the replacement power cables for my battery pack and dashcam online.

@tigermad if you don’t mind me asking, did you get a price from wbac or evans halshaw first, and I’m not asking for exact figures but did you get more for it. Might be needing to change my car later this year, thanks

@tigermad if you don’t mind me asking, did you get a price from wbac or evans halshaw first, and I’m not asking for exact figures but did you get more for it. Might be needing to change my car later this year, thanks
WBAC was a bit pants to be honest. I normally use Arnold Clark (the selling part) but with motorway I got double the equity that AC were going to give me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom