1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone used electricalscentre.com before?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by NiGHTS, Nov 29, 2004.

1. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently ordered a TV from www.electricalscentre.com and bar what I assume to be an automatic order email, I haven't heard a word from them. I've emailed them two times and haven't recieved a reply back to either of those as well.

This feels a bit dodgy to me. Do you think they're messing me around, or could they just be busy or something? Has anyone on here used them for buying anything before? This is probably the single most expensive thing I've ever bought, so you can probably understand why I'm slightly worried.

Here's the TV I bought from them:- http://www.electricalscentre.com/acatalog/36_PICTURE_FRAME_3_TVS.html

2. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I just discovered this company yesterday as I was looking to buy a Tosh 32z44. They matched the cheapest price I could find and they giving away a free 240 DVD player. However, their reviews on Pricerunner were very poor so I decided to shop elsewhere.

I hope you get things sorted out.

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    About Us ELECTRICALSCENTRE.COM are completely dedicated to your total satisfaction. If you have any suggestions or comments please email us at ecweb@electricalscentre.com.

Our Contact details:
    ELECTRICALSCENTRE.COM
    53 VICTORIA STREET WOLVERHAMPTON WEST MIDLANDS WV1 3NX United Kingdom
    Phone: 01902 428200 and ask for KAZ (sales) or GAVIN, JOHN or SINGH
    Fax: 01902 716521
    Email: ecweb@electricalscentre.com
    VAT Registration Number 819464307

Have you tried phoning them??

4. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried earlier today and for some reason all I got was line noise, similar to when your modem connects to the Internet.

I'll give it a bit longer, but if I don't hear from them soon I think I may have to see how I'd go about get my money back.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    from yell.com
    Electricals Centre.Com 53, Victoria St, Wolverhampton, West Midlands WV1 3NX
    Tel: 01902 428200

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Nights,

Hope you paid by Credit Card, then you should have no problem getting your money back. :lesson:

Good luck.

7. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I paid by debit, so I may be up a certain creek with no paddle. :rolleyes:

I'm going to try getting hold of them today, but it's not looking good at the moment. I suppose such a low price WAS too good to be true.

8. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ring them and send a FAX.Then get onto your bank and explain the situation to them! good luck.

9. MattLFC

MattLFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well considering many parts of the site are ripped from a certain Empire Direct, and based on how unprofessional the website is for a company selling high cost electrical products, I would think they are a scam.

Good luck :(

10. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Which debit card did you use?

If it's a "VISA" debit card, then you are in luck.

11. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was a VISA I used. I assume I'm able to get my money back then? ANy chance you could guide me through it.

It does seem it's a scam though. I thought the site did look a tad unprofessional, but didn't really think much about it. I've checked the address which seems legit, although that doesn't really mean anything considering I can't go there to check that they're actually there. I've also been phoning for the last few days with no luck at all. The line always seems to be busy.

I feel a bit stupid to be honest. :thumbsdow I'm hoping I'll be able to get the money back too, considering this is my first major purchase.

Thanks for the help guys.

12. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Nights, I used Electricals Centre for my Toshiba 32ZP48. I never got a call and only an automated e-mail just like yourself. I did call them however and eventually got told they had TV's but no stands and to expect delivery in 7 days. I called back a week later and they said. Oh yes we have them in is Friday OK for delivery. They delivered on-time and I can confirm that the goods were exactly as described. 2 weeks later the TV started buzzing really bad on Prog Scan Mode. I called Toshiba who confirmed it was a fault and said I had to take it up with the shop. I called them and this guy (Gavin) was a bit confused and said I will have to speak to Toshiba. He never called back when he sai so I called him and basically threatened action with writing to Trading Standards and his Manager if I did not hear anything by 4 PM the next day. Lo and behold 10 minutes later I got a call to say a replacement would be sent in 2 days and true to his word it arrived.

I think the problem with them is they are so caught up in matching price that their customer service lacks at times although when you press them for action they do exactly as promised. I cannot fault them for that.

The only thing I will fault them for however is not sending away the Paperwork for my 5 yr warranty. Paid £179 for the Warranty and 4 months later Dopmestic & General knew nothing about me. Again I called them and yes it took a few re-dials to an ever engaged line and when it did ring about 3 minutes to answer. I recieved the invoice paperwork a few days later so again the call worked.

I genuinely do not think you have been conned and I would persevere with calling them and I do believe you will get your order maybe a bit later than you wanted but you will get them.

13. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The protection you get when you pay by credit card (over £100) is not normally available to debit card purchases.

However, according to BBC2 Working Lunch programme, VISA themselves have recently agreed that purchases made with a VISA debit card (over £100) will be afforded the same protection - regardless of issuing bank.

Contact your provider for further details.

14. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, those last two posts were incredibly helpful. At least now I know I've got something to fall back on if things don't go according to plan.

I've also got a couple of questions Scottie. Firstly, how long ago was this and how did you go about paying them? Secondly, how long did it take you roughly to get through to them on the phone, over how long a period was this over and finally, did you use any other form of communication to get in touch with them (i.e. A letter).

Thanks again.

15. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Have you read the poor feedback left on the pricerunner site .It is terrible cant believe they havnt been shut down.

16. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't realise Pricerunner did reviews at the time of buying the TV. If I did, I wouldn't have to go through this entire mess. In future, I'd be happy to pay more money so long as I actually get the product on time/at all.

17. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I bought my TV in August but I spoke to them about 2 weeks ago about my Warranty. As I said in my previous I had to keep re-dialling until I got through (probably a good 20 or so times) and when it rang it took a long time to be answered, but was 2 minutes from ringing. I didn't send them letters or the like. I also paid by VISA but Credit Card not Debit Card and they took the money off instantly even though there were no stands in stock and I was not going to get my TV tilll 2 weeks later.

My advice to you would be to take the same approach as I did, but maybe try faxing them. Tell them if you do not recieve communication from them within the next 48hrs that you will be contacting Trading Standards and RETRA who they are members of. (Have a look at RETRA's web site). www.retra.co.uk. I am sure this will encourage them to help you. You should get through by telephone though if you keep trying and tell them exactly as above and use the FAX as a back-up if still no joy.

I hope this helps you Nights. Feel free to ask any other questions and let me know how you get on.

Cheers and best of luck!!

18. kellyt

kellyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot stress this enough. Do not use electricals centre if you can at all avoid it. Yeh, the prices are good but do they really have these goods in stock...I doubt it.
    I ordered a toshiba 36zp48 from them in October. They took the money from my account immediately. After 2 weeks we were still without the TV. Many phone calls later and promises that we would have it within a couple of days we decided to cancel the order.
    Now into December, still no refund. Threatened legal action, complained to trading standards and sent letter to credit card company. Seriously this company are not worth dealing with. Pay the extra and avoid the hassle we have been put through. Their customer service is shocking. They never call you back and after many conversations with Gavin, he still surprises by acting like hes never heard from me before.
    Last time we spoke I was told they didn't have me on the system. Funny how they had me on their system when they took over £ 1200 from my account!!

19. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've still had now luck at all guys.

My mum went into the bank to enquire about getting a refund on the debit card (I paid all my money into her account as I don't have anything but a cash card myself), and it turns out that there's no come back on a debit payment. Perhaps it's something they haven't implemented yet or something?

I'm still having no luck with getting hold of them either. I hold onto the phone for about five minutes and I get nothing. I really REALLY wish I'd gone to another site now. It seems these guys wouldn't know good customer service if it came and bit them all on the arse. :mad:

Thanks for all your help thus far anyway guys. :)

20. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Go back to the bank and ask them to contact VISA themselves.

You are definately covered for items not arriving when paying on a VISA debit card!

This was covered again on another recent edition of BBC Working Lunch, just a couple of days ago.

Whilst the protection offered is not as comprehensive when using a VISA debit card, compared with credit card (not being covered it the item breaks down early, not fit for purpose), it most certainly covers items not arriving!

Good Luck.

21. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Simon, I'll go and double check again today. I'm also going to try faxing them for the first time today and mention Trading Standards and Retra to see if that will make them take their fingers out.

Speaking of Retra, I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but Electricals Centre actually have a different address/phone number on Retra's website. Is this an old address?

22. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Nights, sorry to hear you are still having trouble. Cannot really comment on the different numbers on the RETRA site but know they used to advertise the fact they were a member. If you click on the link it takes you to their home page. have just noticed on the Terms and Conditions page that their telephone number has changed. Here is the bit from their page:

About Us ELECTRICALSCENTRE.COM are completely dedicated to your total satisfaction. If you have any suggestions or comments please email us at ecweb@electricalscentre.com.

[COLOR=Red]Our Contact details:
    ELECTRICALSCENTRE.COM
    53 VICTORIA STREET WOLVERHAMPTON WEST MIDLANDS WV1 3NX United Kingdom
    Phone: 0870 8508062 and ask for KAZ (sales) or GAVIN, JOHN or SINGH
    Fax: 01902 716521
    Email: ecweb@electricalscentre.com
    VAT Registration Number 819464307[/COLOR]

Have you tried this new 0870 number???

23. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried that number, but it doesn't matter now.

I sent off the rather stern letter through the fax at about 1:30pm this afternoon and they phoned my home at about 3pm. It's funny how people will suddenly comply with you when you threaten them with Trading Standards, Retra, and the West Midlands police. :D Just want to say thanks for suggesting that by the way Scottie.

It's a shame that it had to come to this though. I would have much rather avoided the whole incident. All they needed to do was send me an email/contact me by phone telling me what was happening, but I guess this was the only thing that was going to work for me and it seems a lot of other people too.

Anyway, it seems my TV/DVD player/Stand will be arriving on the 21st of this month, so lets hope they stay true to their word and make up for some of the worry I've had to endure.

Thanks again everyone for all the help. I'll update you on the situation if anything changes. :smashin:

24. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Nice one Nights!!!!

Great to hear you have finally got somewhere with them. Like you quite rightly said, itas a shame it has to come to the fact you have to threaten them but if it gets results then thats what counts.

Let us know if it all ends happily!

By the way, when you do get them I doubt you won't be disappointed. The Tosh is a cracker, jsut make sure you get component leads for connecting the TV and DVD and also a cable for the 5.1. I am sure you will be blown away by the Picture and sound!!!

25. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Scottie. I have to say I'm very relieved that the whole thing has been sorted out. I'm not really getting my hopes too high untill the TV is sitting in front of me though.

Although it's a bit off topic and in the wrong section, could you recommend me some decent cables? I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to the whole AV scene, so I'm still a bit unsure what bits to buy. I know component are generally the best cables to buy as they allow progressive scan (Which the DVD player that comes with my TV supports). However, I'm not really sure which cables to buy or where to buy them from. I'm not really one of those people that's likes to pay ridiculous amounts of money for cables either, as I'm sure the difference is fairly minimal (I'm sure you've had discussions on this before :p ), so some fairly reasonable priced cables are preferred.

It does look like a cracker of a TV though. It should be interesting to see what all my consoles/DVDs look like on a vastly bigger screen. I'm currently using a Sony Trinitron 14", which don't get me wrong is brilliant, but soundwise and sizewise it's obviously not too impressive. Then again, I don't actually have enough room for a TV any bigger than that. The only reason I've been able to buy this new Toshiba is because we're building any extension, which equals a bigger room. :D

I'll be interested to see how the TVs sound quality is like. A lot of people seem to think it's a bit lacklustre, although my expectations aren't going to be too high considering what I'm using right now. Still, I'm sure I'll upgrade my sound system quite soon as I'd like to have the speakers on stands if possible. Same thing applies for buying amps/speakers/etc. I know very little about what's best to buy and where to buy it from, and I don't really want to spend thousands of pounds on the equipment. Still, I'll get to that hurdle once I've got the TV, unless anyone's got some advice for me?

Blimey, I've droned on a bit haven't I? Sorry about that. :oops:

26. nomad01

nomad01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a note about Electricals Centre... I had my 36ZP48 delivered from there on Saturday. I went with them because A) They are listed as a Tosh dealer on the Toshiba website and B) I work minutes away from them and a few people at work have used them.

To be fair, Kas dealt with my order and was very nice and helpful. Didn't push me into taking out the extended warranty or any other extras. I only got what I asked for.

However, the rest of the male staff in the shop just seem a bit simple. I don't think they're deliberately difficult. I think they're just a bit disorganised. I had to chase delivery a few times but it came in tip-top condition and seems fine.

The real test of this company will be if there are any problems. Fingers crossed there won't be!!

Steve

27. scottiefraser

scottiefraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Nights, I used a sit called TV cables at http://www.tvcables.co.uk (very reliable and good prices and products) and ordered the following:

Digital Component Cables (For Progressive Scanfrom DVD to TV):
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/t...p=eq/sf=prod_group/se=Video Cables/op=eq.html

Digital Coaxial Cable (For 5.1 to your TV from DVD)
    http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/PGD481.html

You can get your speaker stands at http://www.empiredirect.co.uk:
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/TOS-PROSTAND3.htm

Hope these help you. All in all the whole lot should cost you about £40-50 depending on the lengths of cable you nedd and whether you want one set of stands or two!!!

28. NiGHTS

NiGHTS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Excellent, cheers for that Scottie.

I was looking at the Prostand, as I believe it's designed with this TV in mind isn't it? I will be buying two sets at that price though, seeing as it's more than reasonable.

Thanks for pointing some decent cables out for me too, as well as giving the brief description of where the cables go (Wasn't sure about the Coaxial cables before this :blush: ). The prices of those cables (Bar those component cables near the bottom) are just the kind of price bracket I was looking for. I'm assuming those £8.99 cables are fine for the job right? Unless 'I' can see something wrong with the picture because of these cables, I think they should be more than good enough for the moment. Call me silly, but I don't know if I could justify paying almost £75 for one cable.

Do you use any of these cables Scottie? If you do, are they any good?

29. evosingh

evosingh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I used Electricalscentre.com to buy my 36ZP48, for what its worth, i wish i hadn't. I placed the order on the 6th of November, i am receiving my TV today, 14th of December!!! 5 weeks after placing the order. Its virtually impossible to call them...all you ever get is a busy tone, and when their phone does actually ring....they dont answer. p**s poor in my opinion. After numerous calls trying to get updates of when im going to have my tv, i actually got a straight answer last week, when i believe someone actually decided to find out whats happening, then they gave me a delivery date...i wasnt hopeful until i actually got a call from Toshiba delivery that they are delivering today.
    Im not exactly a newbie to ordering things of the internet, but this little episode has taught me that i should really check the retailers out before placing the order.

Prit Jutla

30. nomad01

nomad01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I obviously did the right thing by hassling them in that case.

I thought waiting 10 days was pushing it a bit. I did suggest that if it wasn't here within a few days I would have to cancel the order so maybe that's worth trying.

The phone is often engaged but you'll get through if you persevere. Try fax and email too. I *think* they're just disorganised.