1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone used Digital Eyes?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by errol, Jan 20, 2001.

1. errol

errol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ordered some DVDs from http://www.digitaleyes.net/ last week, having never used them before. Their prices came up looking good on some dvd price comparison website I tried out. For non-US orders you have to supply them with a fax of your credit card and the latest credit card statement, to prevent fraud. My statement is still addressed to London even though I currently live in Tokyo, where I wanted the DVDs sent. I emailed Digital Eyes asking if the different addresses would be a problem. I got a response later on that same day saying it would be fine, so faxed my credit card details and a 200 dollar order. I then emailed them to confirm that they'd received my faxes. Unfortunately they haven't replied to that or any of the other emails I've sent since, and I'm now kicking myself for faxing my credit card details... Seems strange that they can reply to emails straight away before you place your order but can't be contacted as soon as they have your credit card info... Has anyone ever used them or heard anything about them before? Are they reliable (if a little poor at emailing?)??

Thanks,
    Errol

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Errol,

Whilst the site looks legitimate, and the company appear to know what they are doing, I have a very unnerving feeling! Whilst many US firms do legitimately request photocopies of Credit Card details and statement information, it worries me that when an on-line company does the same, you don't really know who you are sending your details to. PLus, sending the details by fax, means that your details could be accessed by anybody! They could be anyone, based anywhere and could be setting up this company to fraud people! Also, if your bank realises that you have faxed photocopies of your card information, then you may be signing a death-warrant, if transactions suddenly start appearing on your Card statements, that you know you never made! You may well be forfeiting any chance of obtaining refunds!

I hope to God that that isn't the case, however, I suspect that you may well never get your DVD's and find odd/phantom withdrawals on your Credit Card. Any company that will respond to your requests for information, before you send them Credit Card details, and then suddenly does the exact opposite, is a company to be wary of!

I know this doesn't make things easier, but seeing as you live in China, and they are based in the USA, you may never hear from them again! Ultimately, I would stick to tried and tested companies, that you have heard of or have read others details of, via this very forum.

I wish you best of luck, but sometimes it is better to be a pessimist and consider all online DVD companies to be dubious, until they poove otherwise. In this day-and-age, their are too many fly-by-night DVD firms that are taking orders, and ripping off their customers, leaving people hung out to dry!

Sorry to be so negative, but you need to be careful with these firms.

One, quick final thing: whislt these companies may rank favourably in pricing of their products, on price-comparison websites, these sites are not able to take into account the customer service side of things. All these sites show is who is the cheapest, and who is the dearest. They never say if the firm is actually any good or not, and normally, you will find some kind of legal disclaimer that says something along the lines of the following:

"Details on this webiste are for comparison use only. This site neither approves of or condones any business, and will not be held responsible for any customers actions that take place, after accessing this information on our site."

I would inform your Credit Crad company of what has happened, and e-mail and fax the company stating that you wish to cancel the order immediately, and withdraw all payments previuously made, as they have failed to respond to your enquiries, since making payment to them.

Keep us informed of how things go, okay?!

Pooch

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    what time scale for the e-mails are we talking about?
    Their site looks too good to be a fake.
    I know I had to fax to Ken Cranes to get an order through. No problems.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

4. errol

errol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's actually not been that long since I ordered from them - I placed the order on Friday 12th January, receiving an automatic email saying the order would be confirmed later the same day. As this didn't arrive, I tried emailing and have now sent 4 emails without reply (including one trying to find out whether my faxed credit card details were received or not). So it was long enough to get me worrying but not necessarily long enough to mean it's a definite con (maybe they're just on holiday or something...)

Pooch, thanks a lot for your reply. I think I had the required pessimistic attitude a few years back but I've never had any problems from any of the internet retailers I've used. I guess my fear of using new retailers gradually eroded because of this. Well, it's definitely come back, and I'm not going to do anything as monumentally dumb as faxing my credit card details to any company again!

Having said that, I'm not too worried about Digital Eyes being a fraudulent operation anymore. After reading your reply I decided to do a yahoo search for Mark Harrill, the owner of the company. This eventually lead me to www.hometheaterforum.com, an American forum much like this one, with a Retail and Wholesale Vendors Feedback section. There was a thread on that a couple of weeks back discussing a recent price rise on Digital Eyes, to which Mark Harrill personally responded.

Ironically, several of the posters there said they use the firm because of the excellent service rather than the prices, which were never the best around. I only used them because I thought their prices were better than what I'd seen elsewhere (albeit being restricted to those companies willing to ship to Asia) - I can't exactly recommend them for their service so far...

I guess I'll just email the company again and hopefully find out why their "excellent service" hasn't extended to me thus far.