Anyone used Behringer 1124 with TMREQ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by audionutter, Mar 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I've done room Eq with my DP and actually had posted some questions about Room EQ but doesn't seem to be attracting any answers :rolleyes: Anyway, this is about something else:

I was wondering if anyone here has used the Behringer 1124 as mentioned by John Mulcahy in his Room Eq Wizard for "TMREQ"? Reason I asked is my old SP is relegated to my secondary system and I was wondering if I should try using the Behringer on the digital output of the transport and doing Room Eq on it before feeding the Eq'ed digital signal into the SP. I know that means it will only work with the digital source of CD and DVD but hey, at least it's better than nothing, right?:D

So anyone?:lease:

2. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Hi There,

Can't say i own a tag, but i aspire....however i do own a BFD and use Johns most excelent prog.

Now correct me if i'm wrong but your querying if the BFD can be used for other chanels apart from the sub for EQ purposes.

Technicaly yes, its a two chanel unit good for 20hz-20Khz, however to be fair about a couple of hundered hz it starts becoming ropey for sound quality....

So you can, but don't.

If you need some eq facilities look at something like Rane.

Cya,
    Lee

3. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the reply. So basically the 1124 is only good for sub and bass below 200Hz, huh? What about the 2496? That has digital inputs and outputs, so would using that be suitable?

Does anyone know if you can use the 2496 and Room Eq it for the front two channels and sub and pair it with a SP? That would be a cheaper way to get REQ for a lot of people compared to the rarity and expense of a DP.........have to say Room Eq makes a heck of a difference to the sound quality. Even manufactured pop bands like Blue sound acceptable now with all the bass boom gone!

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As far as Im aware all the units you mention have to be used between the analogue pre amplification output of your AV32R and your active sub or power amp. I would only recommend using them on the LFE channel as Im sure you will have a noticable loss in SQ otherwise. The only company which seem to have successsfully implemented a full range EQ system is TACT. Everyone elses is aimed below 200hz as these are the easiest to correct. As far as Im aware one of the best add on EQ boxes is the Velodyne SMS-1.:)

5. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Hi there,

RANE did a couple of models aimed at the home cinema market, the SSE35, THX44 & THX22. The SSE35 was for DPL and the THX44/22 for DD/DTS. The THX44 does the front three chanels and a couple of PEQ's for sub usage, the THX22 is two chanel for the rears. The THX range is even THX certified.

I'd say its a bit basic compaired with the TAG stuff, particularly using manual sliders which while visual and difficult to set just so...i say this as i have one and have been envious of the DP for a long while. I could kick myself for not buying one when they were cleared out...i saw the offer early enough, just didn't have the cash...The price i could have gotten for my right arm just wasn't enough and i needed the left to operate the remote:rotfl:

I think there is more to EQ above a few hundered HZ than just sound quality as an issue. There is something to do with bits shifting (time/frequancy ?) and other stuff....i've read quite a bit but forgoten most :eek:

BTW just as a mention, even though EQ is becoming easier and friendlier, there are caveats and draw backs and i would recomend trying the treat the room first, particularly big problems as in certain cases if its a problem with room nodes etc and you have a void, increasing amplification will do little and you'll just degrade sound quality....so combat with room alterations (absorbtion, speaker moves etc) and EQ last.

6. audionutter

audionutter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alaric, thanks for the info. Still thinking if I should try out the 2496 if the digital in/out works for TMREQ or the 1124 for just the sub with my AV32R SP. Seems a shame not to implement Room Eq after experiencing what it can do with my DP.