1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone used a WAD step-up transformer?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dynamic turtle, May 16, 2005.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone out there has experience with the World Audio Design step-up transformer. It's only £77 - a damn sight cheaper than some others I've been looking at.

So, is this a properly engineered product, or have they cut some serious corners to get the price that low?

Cheers,
    DT

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I haven't used WAD's MC transformer,but the rest of their stuff,and certainly their output transformers,are well specc'd and in the case of the transformers,heavy duty items,which perform well.

That aside,I've used step-up transformers with MC cartridges before,and been a little underwhelmed in the budget end of the sector...I see you have a Projekt Tube box currently,and I wouldn't expect a cheap(ish) transformer to outperform it,and you also have the option of changing the tubes in it to NOS ones,which if I remember one of Ken Kessler's reviews of it,was said to really improve the sound.

Difficult to advise or give opinions other than that(which probably doesnt help much!)....another place worth trying might be the WAD forum,on their website.

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Alex

I was planning to use it in conjunction with the Tube Box, as it doesn't add an enormous amount of MC gain on its own (bloomin' valves!). If & when the current valves fail I might splash out on some Mullards for it. Current sound is pretty good though, if a little noiser than a SS PS (bloomin' valves!).

Also, I guess its never a good idea to add links in an audio chain - more interconnects to pass though and more power supply noise etc.

I can increase TT/PS gain 15dB via the PA20r, but the Romulus doesn't have that feature and needs to be cranked right up to get decent volume.

DT

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Thought it might be something like that....a number of MC preamps don't have a huge amount of gain,but it's unfair to blame the valves for that,as a lot of solid state gear has the same failing.

As to noisy valves though,that can be improved,and I think you'll find that investing in a good set of NOS Mullards will improve not only the sound but also the background noise levels.