1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone used a Aver TV Tuner?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Paul R, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Paul R

Paul R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Apologies for what seems to be a register/post shotgun request but I have been lurking for quite a few months now but not had much to say.

Had some excellent advice on here when I was looking for a Plasma and went for a Toshiba screen which was mentioned on here to be the same as the Panny Pw6. Great screen but unfortunately I took the advice of the person at RS and got the Daewoo tuner. So as you can guess I've got colour saturation problems.

Now I'm considering four options to replace the Daewoo in order of preference:

1. Aver TV tuner, £98 from Plasmaware, which apparently gives you control over brightness/contrast/colour/tint control, sounds ggod at that price but is it any good.

2. Panny Scart input board, now this is assuming that it is pinout compatible with the Tosh panel.

3. Maplin RGB -> Component converter and use the component pins of the 15pin DSUB connector.

4. A JS RGB -> VGA box, proven userbase but no actual control over settings, just "nicer" than the Daewoo for most people.*

Anyone used or heard of the Aver box? I've searched the forum and also Google but not many results to form an opinion.

Not sure if the Aver box only has a single RGB input as the PDF link does not work.

*The reason the JS box is last is because I would like to use a scart input and finally be able to use PIP either on the screen or the tuner box (also worried that the result might not actually suit me personally). The Maplin converter is only ~ £50 so worth the risk.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

2. Paul R

Paul R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update as I think I have sorted this out now, in case anyone has the same dilema.

Got a RGB Sync seperator from Maplin code L05AN £49.99 it takes an RGB signal from a scart connection and squirts it out via a VGA connector (15.6khz only).

Looks good and the results are certainly darker and less saturated than the Daewoo.

3. mordzy

mordzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0