1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use xbmc need advice

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by slingshot, Dec 21, 2004.

1. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not sure if it's the correct forum, but does anyone have any tips for getting decent video out of the xbox using xbmc ?

I've tried various settings on both xvids and raw vobs including upscaling to 720p no scaling at all and all images still look quite soft. vobs and avi's were all created off material I own using dvd dekrypter and autoGK.

Any tips gratefully accepted.

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Isn't one of the XBMC settings that is automatically on set to soften - can't remember where it is but if you find it it might be worth turning that off?

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    its in the video settings.

Yes there is an option to soften images but it is unlikely that thats the cause of softness, you must remember that if the xbox is outputting a 720p signal (or similar) then the resolution of screen is much greater than that of dvd/minidv.

A decent cable and setting the xbox to ntsc mode is vital to a good picture quality to avoid ghosting.

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Checked the soften mode is definatley switched off.

I've got the official component cable and have tried using PAL, 480 and 720P and they all look a bit naff to be honest.

I'd have to say that at the moment xbox is not even giving the same picture quality as a PS2. OK it's not a fair comparison since one is from raw DVD and the other is from an extraced vob file, but I wouldn't expect that much difference.

The only thing that concerns me is I've seen threads where people are comparing xbox output upscaled to 720P as good if not better than DVD players such as a Denon 2900 !

Thanks for the suggestions

Slingshot

5. FerMeister

FerMeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    olah,

I got a few q's:

what tv yer using?
    what version xbmc? (assuming youre not using xbmp?)
    U using storage on xbox or r u playing whole dvds??

i got the sony lcd rear projection (60sx300) and have to say as long as i got a decent file, pic is perfect (ie similar to dvd quality); I use the xbmc only as the player, filch the file from pc via network

Fer

6. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    TV is a Sony LCD projector 1280X728 resolution (8' screen).
    XBOX is running in NTSC mode 480P and 720P enabled.
    XBMC is a latish build around 20/11/04 I think (can't check at moment).
    Raw VOB's are extracted to a PC and networked to the XBox.

Cheers

Slingshot

7. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I got busy with my hardmodded Xbox and HD Kit last night and got 720p running on my HD Plasma via XBMC no problem, just check it is upscaling to GUI resolution, think this is default selection in settings so don't fully understand why you aint getting it TBH.

After a bit of messing around and finding the menu that lets you do the 1x1 pixel mapping and 1.0 zoom , I was impressed by the picture of my ripped PAL Van Helsing disc but it was a bit flickery to be honest, is there an option to reduce/remove this other than the flicker reduction option in settings menu by any chance anyone?

Also why doesn't it play original DVD's?, I only seem able to play ripped & shrunk region free ones that I have copied from my originals.

As far as comparing to a high end DVD player, I also own an HDMI Arcam DV79 and if the Xbox didn't have the flicker, I would be pretty ****** off at the picture quality of the Xbox in comparison, yes it is exceptionally good but my Arcam does have better definiton all round, I watched LOTR ROTK 4 disc edition last night and was gobsmacked by the quality on my Arcam and Pioneer Plasma.

Suffice to say I am almost scared to continue trying to improve the Xbox DVD quality as it is extremely good for a sub £100 games console, but if anyone can advise me on the flickering issue I am getting, sheer curiosity will win me over I'm sure.

p.s. this link may shed some light on settings for you

http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.php?wakka=Index