Anyone use walking shoes/trainers rather then walking boots?

Firstly I'd never wear trainers lol! I'm looking for boots as we speak, ideally the lightweight ones like the Adidas ones but can't see them anywhere.

Secondly I really appreciate the help here guys.
Bet you didnt realise there was a footwear war among walkers, you thought it was all thermos flasks and walking sticks didnt you?

With the odd whippet thrown in yea! Interesting though. Just need to find some now.

He did? Must have missed that post, can't see it now?
I don't think he specified one way or the other, just that he was doing the 3 peaks, Yorkshire.

What an interesting thread! It's fine to have differences of opinion BTW.
I've always been puzzled by walking boots personally. I've never understood why you would wear walking boots instead of specialty designed lightweight trail or fell shoes. Maybe it's my view as a runner though. I've done many miles in the fells and quite a few ultra marathons. I'm doing another in July fingers crossed.
However on the odd occasion I do go walking I just wear my trainers and they work fine. There's no issue with streams and mud either as the water just comes straight out of the shoe so you're not squelching along.

I would always try to wear the most suitable footwear for the terrain and conditions.

For a dry, warm, non rocky conditions then trail shoes/runners will be good as they are light and won’t make you sweat too much.

In wet, non rocky conditions then a waterproof mid level fabric boot will probably do. I have a pair of gore-tex Innov8 fabric boot which are light, waterproof and comfortable and is probably the boot I would wear for most hikes around the UK.

I also have pair of waterproof, leather, lightish but obviously not as light as my fabric boot - which I would wear if was hiking around some proper mountainous/rocky terrain.

Horses for courses👍 Some swear by the traditional leather boots, but I’m in favour of lightweight gear wherever possible as it’s all about enjoying your surroundings whilst being as comfortable as possible .

Who needs footwear at all?

The image below is of Croagh Patrick in the west of Ireland. Every year 'pilgrims' climb Irelands Holy Mountain, many of them choosing to do it barefoot.

1613755468396.png

These any good?

I'm planning for a go at the Appalachian Trail at some point in the future (probably split into halves due to visas) and I believe the wisdom for that is trail runner shoes rather than walking boots. Different terrain I guess, but they dry out a lot quicker.

I've done a lot of Himalayan and long distance hiking in my time with regular walking boots, they are good for ankle support (especially downhill sections) but a right pain if they get wet.

I bought a pair of Adidas terrex and the lace eyelet snapped on first use (well, wasn't even first use, it was first lacing)

you dont have much luck with walking shoes.. :D

I bought a pair of Brashers lightweight goretex boots to do the 3 peaks 15 years ago, they are excellent and very comfortable. Since then I have wore them occasionally when going walks, but since the Pandemic began I have been wearing them for walking 3 times a week. They are still very comfortable and look like new. Great buy for me.

Have a couple of pairs of Terrex - Skychaser GTX and Agravic Flow - which are great, but these have been my go-to boot all over winter. Very comfy, very well put together, waterproof & Vibram soles, highly recommended.

I won’t wear anything other than Meindl. I have had two pairs in the last 18 years and walked thousands of miles in them all over the Lake District, Brecon Beacons and the South West coast. They are durable, 100% waterproof, give amazing support and most of all are extremely comfortable. I would also advise getting descent walking socks, like Bridge etc. In all the miles I’ve walked, I have never had a blister either

Meindl buthan are excellent 5 years use and still as good as new

Have a couple of pairs of Terrex - Skychaser GTX and Agravic Flow - which are great, but these have been my go-to boot all over winter. Very comfy, very well put together, waterproof & Vibram soles, highly recommended.

You think could cope with the Yorkshire three peaks?

Regardless of peoples recommendations, try some before you buy if possible.
Most half decent boots will cope with the Yorkshire three peaks. The key concern would be making sure they fit you properly.

They're solid waterproof hiking boots so I'd expect they're more than up to the job.

Regardless of peoples recommendations, try some before you buy if possible.
Most half decent boots will cope with the Yorkshire three peaks. The key concern would be making sure they fit you properly.
And also this. I've got several pairs of Hokas for running, all same size, but still ordered 3 pairs of Kahas - my size, half size smaller and half size bigger - to get the right fit. Also decided on Kahas over Terrex as for me, the Kahas were more comfortable in boot fit.

ive got a few pair that i like....

Aku Pilgrim boots for general winter walking

Salewa Rapace GTX boots for when i know im going to be slapping on a crampon at some point.

Merrell MOAB II GTX (nearer trainers) for summer general knocking about with nothing too exciting

La Sportiva TX4 which ive got for some scrambling adventures this year (bought them last year but lockdown crapped on my plans :( )

yes i have a problem.... :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom