Anyone use Sketchup?

IanWilky

If anyone uses Sketchup (I'm using Sketchup 5) could they tell me how to draw something to scale?

I have had a practice at drawing our house to see the effect of an extension we are considering, which looks quite good but this is to no kind of scale.

If someone could tell me how to say, draw a box 4m cubed, i'm sure i could work it out from that. Also, how do i change the dimensions from imperial to decimal?

Cheers!

phil-uk

Novice Member
You can type measurments in directly (I use Sketchup 6). So while drawing your box and while still holding down the mouse just type on the keyboard 400,400 and hit enter. THis will give you a 4m by 4m 2D square. Then rotate the view to 3D view and use the Push/Pull tool, while dragging the cube up, again while holding down the mouse type in 400 and hit enter.

This should give you a 4m x 4m x 4m cube.

The Tape tool is also handy, you can pull the tape and type in measurements as above, so if you wanted say 3m from a point you could put the tape on that point, start pulling the tape in the desired direction and type in 300, press enter and it will draw a dotted line 3m away for you.

Hope this helps a bit.

Neil.B

What a great program, i have just downloaded it to do my garden design to scale.

How do i save it from .skp to .jpg or simular?

Thanks
Neil

phil-uk

Novice Member
How do i save it from .skp to .jpg or simular?
Remember this is a 3D modelling tool so the default is 3D models. For a 2D drawing do this:

File - Export - 2D Graphic

Then select your desired format jpeg, bmp, tif, etc..

Rgds

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom