1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use Def. Tech BP-1/2X?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nathan_silly, Jun 26, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about replacing the rears (B&W 601) in a 7 channel system to bipoles, as they are close to the listening position. I have NHT dipoles as sides.

I can buy Definitive Technology BP-1X or BP-2X for a good price. Poweramp is 100Wx2 into 8Ohm. What shall I go for?

Retail of the BP-1X were £400, BP-2X £600. He's offering me as ex-demo units, but with full warranty.

Thanks

2. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I previously used BP1X's, great little speakers for their size... The BP2X's will have more low down.. but thats what your sub is for...

Can you not demo them in your system...?

Cheers
    Paul.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah he'll let me borrow them for a week.

I did borrow a set of Jamo Surround 300 but didn't think much of these- I take it the BP-2X have much higher output?

Amp should be ok.

4. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I purchased my bp1x's around 4 years ago! the BP2X's didnt come out until after that... they are neat little speakers... I have held onto my pair for a trip into 7.1 when I move to a larger room...

The bass was fair on them, but I am comparing them to much larger full range speakers.. If they are close to your listening position, then I would definately go for bi/dipoles like the BP1X's...

When you get them, try them at various heights.. the stock position is very high above your head, I preferred them lower... enjoy!!

Go for it..

Paul

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would using dipoles for sides AND rears be a bad thing?

If one side is out phase- I guess the middle would cause a hole, or the other side in the corner would.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +925
    If you use Dipoles for both the sides and rears, reverse the phase of the rears. i.e put the Left dipole on the Right and vice versa.

7. purplepower

purplepower
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably a silly question here, but I take it the BP2X Bipoles aren't handed so to speak? - IIRC they don't say anything on the back about Left, or Right but do have a port on only one face of the speaker... :)

8. leon

leon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    i have had the bp1 and bp1x and now i use the bp2x as metioned before they have a little more base than the bp1x they are a good match for the bp8 and 7000 series a great performance from a small speaker . abit of a rubish picture but here they are

[​IMG]