Anyone use a scaler with their plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by StooMonster, Jan 13, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I know that plenty of projector owners use scalers, but what about plasma owners? Or are external line-doublers, and leaving scaling to internal hardware, the order of the day for panels?

Anyone have experience of an external scaler vs internal one with progressive sources into their plasma? I am particularly interested in regard to 50" Panny5.

StooMonster

2. Phil_Yeoman

Phil_Yeoman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I tried my Vidikron DVS 2500 Digital scaler on both my samsung 42 and on a Nec plasmaSync 61.

The overall effect was mixed and I would have to say that on sources other than DVD the scaler seemed to exagerate the shortfalls of SKY and TV. Scalers tend to work much better on CRT projectors where the effect can be breathtaking.

When compared to the iscan pro the overall effect was that the picture seemed less flat and digital artifacting was reduced. Solarisation was still present on both panels.

Overall the increase in picture quality was subjective. The old saying "rubish in rubish out" still applies here but with a scaler the rubish is slighly cleaner

Phil