1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone use a Quintro ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Darbyweb, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've thought i'd finally got my setup just right - plasma due next week, JS RGB>Plasma box, and all components via a Quintro Scart switcher.

Quality of the Quintro is good, BUT the remote control seems absolutely cr*p.

Random doesnt pickup selected source, soemtimes need 2/3 key prices to accept request.

The biggest problem for me is that it doesnt work with my Pronto...

The Pronto struggles to learn the remotes output, and when it does its output doesnt control the Quintro :(

Have i got a dodgy one ??

My setup now consists of 8 different components all on the Pronto, i cant have an extra controller kicking around for the Quintro - wife won't accept that !!

Plus is there anyway of stopping the Quintro auto switching, i have a Panasonic DVD-R, which has RF input etc. everytime i stop a DVD playing rather than staying on the DVD channel the Quintro switches back to TV.

Dean.

2. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I bought a BT941 when they first came out and it went back within a few days. Terrible sound quality, however I had no problems with my Pronto. Only way I can suggest to stop auto switching is to cut pin/wire 8 at one end of you scart plugs. I changed mine for a Keene Scart Commander and was much happier with this. You can disable auto switching (press AU and then Off) and definately works great with Pronto. Keene do supply a ccf, but it's a bit naff.

Rob.

3. Darbyweb

Darbyweb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have tested the second Quintro remote sent to me by accident this seems to have same problem - i will swap the Quintro itself over, as BTec have emailed me to say their remote uses a philips IR transmitter, and they have codes for the one for all....

Dean.

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    What output did you have connected to the Quintro?

From what I can see, I think the Quintro can't produce proper sound when a Keene Syncblaster is connected to it! As soon as the SyncBlaster is out - sound is perfect.

5. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Quintro was connected into JS Tech RGB2VGA box which AFAIK (John?) does not process the sound in any way - just passes it straight though to the RCA's which at the time connected direct to my Sony STRDB940.

Rob

6. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Did you test it pulling out the JS box?

All the Quintro's I have tested have failed to work with any converter without losing sound quality. It seems anything connected with a power supply in it causes the Quintro to go all weird and almost reproduce the sound of the converter's power supply (usually muting the left channel to almost nothing in the process).

When connected with a scart-4 BNC/RCA cable and run into a Panny plasma - everything works fine!