1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use a PDA as a universal remote

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Eagerbeaver, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Eagerbeaver

Eagerbeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any PDAs with the following functions

1.Strong in built CIR which could be used as a universal remote
    2.Hard buttons can be used for volume control channel changing and power on/off (maybe even launch macros)
    3.Has built in Wifi.

Is is practical to use a PDA as a complete replacement for a universal remote control.

2. duncs

duncs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Dell Axim 3xi.

1 - CIR - Yes
    2 - Hard buttons - Yes
    3 - Wifi - Yes

I am still setting mine up using software from http://www.pdawin.com but it works a treat with what I have done so far. I certainly find it practical considering I can replace 5 remotes with one.

The other advantage is that with WiFi you can also control your pc to stream video and mp3 to your AV set up. This is a future project for me so unfortunately, I can not give further details on how to do this.

3. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Very practical indeed. I'm using an old IPAQ with and IR extender but there are more and more CIR models coming through. Go an have a look at the active community over at www.remotecentral.com. PDAWin is good, but is seems to be a bit short on support. Totalremote is catching it fast... for the real techies, NetRemote will launch a direct IR version soon.....

Lots of fun!

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I use an iPAQ 2210 with pdawin as a universal remote and it works fine. I had a couple of problems teaching it one or two of the buttons on the Sky+ remote but apart from that no problems.

The thing I don't like it that it doesn't seem to support holding a button down (to increase volume for example), you have to press the button repeatedly.

HTH

John

5. FrankW

FrankW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RemoteControl II (http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147014) supports this :)

Frank

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've looked at the website and it doesn't seem to support Pocket PCs yet, is that correct? The big thing I like about pdawin is that is supports Pronto CCF's - will RemoteControl II do likewise?

John

7. FrankW

FrankW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, RC II can import only CCF- IR codes, not the panels.
    It has an panel editor included, so you can edit the design on your couch without an PC :)
    Currently only Windows CE handheld PC's with a display sizes up to 800x600 are supported. An PocketPC- version is available in some weeks.