1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone use a glass screen ? Good/Bad ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by INDIE, Jan 24, 2005.

1. INDIE

INDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    I have just seen a projector using a glass screen in a shop which I quite like the look of. This set up was in a well lit area but it still looked ok. But before spending the cash would like to know more. I would also have to buy a projector to go with the screen and so any help with this would be appreciated. The glass had a film layer on it but this could be etched to show the picture.

Thank you.

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Beaded screens are very dificult to clean when you throw beer at them :D
    They were popular with low output CRT projectors but with modern LCD or DLP projectors a matt screen is probably a better choice.

Vinyl screens are much easier to keep clean.

Beaded screens will reflect more light back directly in line with the projector but if you sit off axis the picture may well be darker than a matt screen.

Let us know your budget and we can make some recommendations.

Jeff :rtfm:

3. INDIE

INDIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +762
    The film was on a glass screen and looked like the Hitachi Airshow - Price was £ 9000 which included - nec projector - I will find out the model no. but was told the projector was in the region of £3500

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    IIRC, Mississipiman had developed a screen which uses a thin plastic mirror (3mm) and painted it with a couple of thin coats of white paint. The details are on this forum somwhere, and being DIY is very cheap. It's meant to be pretty good.

Gary.