Anyone Upgraded from Interlaced DVD to Prog Scan with AE300?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Monster, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've just modded my X Box from interlaced to NTSC progressive output and the picture improvement was stunning even just comparing PAL to 420p NTSC. (and it didn't cost anything!)

I wondered whether upgrading from an interlaced DVD player (Tosh SD220) to a prog scan DVD player would give similar results. Looking at a player for around £350.

I have read other threads about the merits of both and how it is dependant upon the internal scaling of the PJ being worse than the DVD player etc but I would welcome comments/observations from anyone specific to the Panny AE series of projectors.

Many thanks.

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    I went from a Tosh 210 to a cheapo AMW P80L and was astonished at the difference prog scan made compare to interlaced on my 300.

The Tosh cost me almost £200 in 2001 I think so wasn't the cheapest player out there, the AMW on the other hand cost under £40 if memory serves earlier this year, I guess that’s how much technology has moved on.

I would love to see how much of an improvement a more expensive/better built player would perform but I can't justify the expense at the moment and I am more than happy with the image I am getting, I use home made component cables and a home made screen by the way.

3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,858
    I have a AE100 and upgraded my player to a Sony NS585. Even though my old player (Ebench KH777) has PS, the Sony beats it easily.

I think you will get a great player (perhaps the Pioneer DV575) for little more than a £100. The DV470 is the same without the DV575 audio capabilities and should be less than a £100.

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have the a300 and also have the tosh 510 feeding it via component and it has progressive scanning on ntsc sources, i have went from the a100 to the a300 and when i used my old 100 i always bought r1 so i could use the progressive scan mode as on interlaced you could realy see the jaggies. However the onboard deinterlacer on the a300 seems to be very good as i can see very little difference between using interlaced and progressive mode on the a300. A good player is essential though as a cheap player hooked up to the a300 still looks poor.

5. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    I really can't agree with that statement...

6. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    why not?

i had an old cheap and nasty dvd player connected to the a300 and the picture looked ok but when i connect the tosh the picture is so much better it has more detail and crispness the audio is also much better

7. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for the replies people.

Interesting. The sound quality is also important to me. I was thinking about the Pioneer or perhaps one of the mid reange Denon machines.

Zone, I also use a home made 10m component cable. I've just bought a 2m £50 manufactured component cable so I can pass the DVD player and XBox through the Amp so it will switch. I am going to connect the DVD player to the PJ with the 2m cable as a trial to see whether the home made cables are letting the side down. Given that the 10m cable cost me about £30 to make, if the manufactured cable does not show a perceptible difference, it will be going back to the shop for a refund!

Anyone else had any experiences with upgrading to progressive?

8. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Get a sony dvd player. I have the sony ns930v with progressive scan and the picture is really good with the ae300 and I have tried a few.

9. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    Thats your experience with the hardware you've tried.

I just think you over generalised, not all players are made equal and just because something is expensive does not always mean it is better.

I think I am experienced enough to make an honest and unbiased opinion as to the results I am seeing from my set up and they are better than I ever dared hope for when I originally put in my order for the AE300.

In my situation I went from an old Toshiba 210 interlaced to a new and very cheap AMW prog scan player and the image was considerably better, not only the visuals but also the audio seemed greatly improved.

As I said in my first post, in my case I simply think technology has moved on substantially and very cheap players are capable of some very impressive results

10. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,179
    Confused me a bit there, have you bought 3x2mtr cables to try?

As long as you used decent (RG59/6) double screened cable and decent conectors, taking your time to fit it all together then I very much doubt over the counter cables will show much if any improvement over your DIY ones.

I'd go for a stand alone prog scan player over the XBox any day unless you are happy and can live with the results, you will be suprised at the improvement even modestly priced players can give.

11. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have bought one manufactured cable (Cambridge Audio from Richer Sounds!) to compare to my home made cables.

I don't use the X Box for movies. Currently got the Tosh SD210 (not 220 as mentioned earlier!)

The home made cable uses 75ohm video cable from Maplins with their gold plate connectors. Very carefully soldered without melting them!

I've just ordered a Pioneer 575 for collection on Monday. For £119.95 its worth a punt and has SACD DVD-A compatability (if I ever get a disk!)

Thanks for the comments. I'lll let you know how I get on.

12. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Tried the manufactured 2m cable. Absolutely no difference in picture quality over the home made 10m cable....to my eyes!

That's gone back for a refund. Must get to Maplins to make up some more!

I've got the Pioneer 575 but as its a Xmas present from my partner, she's nicked it and stashed it away until XMas!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

ROTK extended and Spidey 2 Superbit will have to wait until then! Hope its worth the wait...