1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone upgraded from Denon dvd to DV-27A?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Timmy C, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I've had my DV-27A for about a week now which I'm running into a Sim2 Domino 20 using the progressive scan output and to be honest I don't think the picture seems as good as my Denon 2900 which cost considerably less! I've read a few posts here and there from people considering buying Arcam dvd players to replace their 2900 so was wondering if anyone else here has done it and how they're getting along.

I've not read a bad word about the dv27a anywhere (except for comments about the remote!) and although the sound is fantastic I'm a bit dissapointed with the picture and I'm kind of hoping you'll all tell me I've got a dud machine or there's some sort of tweek to improve it!

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I've just been playing about with the Digital Video Essentials disc on both players and found some differences in a test pattern but don't know what it means so hope some of you can help!

When displaying the SMPTE test pattern in the picture resolution section of the disc the 4 squares in the corners of the pattern were badly flickering (along with one near the middle). On the next test pattern (Multiburst Vertical) the 2 bars marked 'Full' were doing the same, almost like a strobe light! This was using the DV27A with progressive scan outputs.

When I tried the same pattern using prog. scan from the Denon there was no flicker at all in either test pattern. I then tried interlaced out through the component out on the DV27A and although the flicker had gone there appeared to be a darkened area in the middle of each box/bar that wasn't there with the Denon.

As I said, I've got no idea what this means so if anyone could explain it to me I'd appreciate it!

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    No one got anything to say on the matter then? Maybe I should have posted this in the DVD player forum!

4. andyasb

andyasb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi there, I recently upgraded from a Denon 2900 to an Arcam 27A, progressive component output, Supra cable to Panasonic 42 plasma. Very noticeable improvement in picture, even my girlfriend spotted it! Sharper, much smoother, better colour depth and decent transfers like Finding Nemo have a very 3D feel to them.

Not sure if this helps though!

A

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I'm glad to hear you like it! Mine's growing on me! I've watched a couple of films tonight and sometimes thought 'Wow, the Denon couldn't produce a picture like that' and the sound is way ahead of the Denon but I've found myself constantly playing around with pj settings as somethings bugging me about the picture. I keep thinking the colours in darker scenes look a bit washed out almost as if the room is full of smoke!

Anyone suggest any setting changes that could help?

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Don't worry about the flicker on static test patterns. This is because the deinterlacer is in video mode. As soon as it detects a film cadence (when you play a film dvd) it switches to film mode, with twice the vertical resolution and no flicker.

7. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Adjust the brightness control on your screen so only the 2 lighter bars of the 3 black bars are visible on the PLUGE on digital video essensials. The middle bar of the 3 should be only just visible, the darker bar shouldn't be visible at all.

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    So the Denon is switching to film mode but the Arcam isn't right? Is there any reason why one should switch to film while the other stays in video mode on the same pattern when, as far as I know, they both use the same Silicon Image circuits for deinterlacing?