Anyone upgraded from a BK monolith plus to a SBS PB 16 or Arendal sub?

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have a BK monoliths Plus x 1 in my small room (no room for a second, and its good. Its real good. But in the land of AVR, it is one of the more entry level purchases to make.

I've had my eye on the Arendal 1723 2V but generally, ignoring that specific subwoofer as no one has ever used it, whats the upgrade quality in immersion and low end with a more expensivbe subwoofer?

I've recently upgraded from KEF Qs to Arendal 1723S and my jaw is still dropping on a daily basis.

but my BK monolith plus a REALLY strong performer with very few issues.. but I do wonder.. for people that have upgraded the more expensive subbies from one of the best budget ones.. whats the experience like? ;)

I upgraded from passive Samsung ;) so huge jump. There is so many things that are better. Lets put it this way it was so worth it.

But to single out thing which I like the most other then totally seamless sonic integration (you just do not know that there is a sub working, you just get deeper notes and all of those) is total lack of possibility to locate it in the room and in the frequency range. I just cannot tell where the sub is or when it is playing other then hearing deep when the track calls for it from exactly the space in 3d space of the room from where the sound is supposed to come according to what is happening on the screen.

I think I read that both of those features come from HDF enclosure or in general one that does not vibrate and as such does not add to the sound which allows for the sub to disappear both location wise and sonically in the FR spectrum.

But you might already have those characteristics with your BK. Maybe Arendal would improve on them?

I upgraded from passive Samsung ;) so huge jump. There is so many things that are better. Lets put it this way it was so worth it.

But to single out thing which I like the most other then totally seamless sonic integration (you just do not know that there is a sub working, you just get deeper notes and all of those) is total lack of possibility to locate it in the room and in the frequency range. I just cannot tell where the sub is or when it is playing other then hearing deep when the track calls for it from exactly the space in 3d space of the room from where the sound is supposed to come according to what is happening on the screen.

I think I read that both of those features come from HDF enclosure or in general one that does not vibrate and as such does not add to the sound which allows for the sub to disappear both location wise and sonically in the FR spectrum.

But you might already have those characteristics with your BK. Maybe Arendal would improve on them?

haha what you described is what my BK does at present. I agree its amazing to think a small... or very big box... can improve all the speakers around it.

I remember when I went from 5.0 to 5.1... its as if a magic device had come in and filled in the 'holes' in the music.

but im interested in people's findings going from a monolith plus to a higher end sub.. cos the plus seems to be a subwoofer which does back a little bit of a punch.

No rush.. as I have just deposited my monthly wage into my savings account early to be sensible this month... :D

I went from a monolith to a sub 3.

The monolith was great at rumbling my room, but hasn’t got the clarity and speed of the Arendal.

The problem with one massive sub I found was that it became localised, so I quickly added a second, before adding a 3rd and 4th sub 1 to even out the bass in my room even further.

It sounds pretty sensational now, coming from where it should, rather than an area.

I went from a monolith to a sub 3.

The monolith was great at rumbling my room, but hasn’t got the clarity and speed of the Arendal.

The problem with one massive sub I found was that it became localised, so I quickly added a second, before adding a 3rd and 4th sub 1 to even out the bass in my room even further.

It sounds pretty sensational now, coming from where it should, rather than an area.

Thank you! Anything more to add? Is it more clarity and speed?

I agree, the mono plus can rumble the room very easily.. but I'm guessing I'm maybe missing a dimension of SQ the monolith plus simply doesn't provide as its more of a rumble monster and can't provide the dynamics which higher end subs can?

Sadly space wise, I can't afford to sit in a second subwoofer for at least a year. And even then, I'll probably prioritise rear speakers and I have a real itch for them.

Speed, clarity, punch, dynamics, they’re all better with the Arendal, although I’d say the monolith will possibly go slightly lower (maybe 2-3hz?).

Personally I only run sealed as I feel it suits the Arendal speakers better (even Jan says so), so I’d consider the 2s instead of the 2v if I was you.....

I am changing to the new subs, but am in a bit of a dilemma as I don’t think my building can actually take any more bass than I currently have, I’m already finding very slight resonance (I’m now listening above reference with my new power amps) in the building itself, so anymore may not be a good thing.....

Speed, clarity, punch, dynamics, they’re all better with the Arendal, although I’d say the monolith will possibly go slightly lower (maybe 2-3hz?).

Personally I only run sealed as I feel it suits the Arendal speakers better (even Jan says so), so I’d consider the 2s instead of the 2v if I was you.....

I am changing to the new subs, but am in a bit of a dilemma as I don’t think my building can actually take any more bass than I currently have, I’m already finding very slight resonance (I’m now listening above reference with my new power amps) in the building itself, so anymore may not be a good thing.....

How come the 2S vs the 2V?

For 500 euros, I was thinking why not get the big boy? :D

depends if you want to run sealed or vented.

If sealed, theyre the same sub bar the size, if vented, then yeah the 2v.

If you listen to Jan’s interview with sparechange, he actually recommends the 2s with the Arendal speakers.

Me personally, I much prefer sealed. @Lesmor also had the sub3 with Arendal speakers, I know he felt the same way.

I don't think any of them can be considered particularity small ;)

I've got two sub3s in a 1700cu ft room and it sounds excellent both movies and music. I've never had a monolith but there's only so much a single 12" can do

If you listen to Jan’s interview with sparechange, he actually recommends the 2s with the Arendal speakers.

Me personally, I much prefer sealed. @Lesmor also had the sub3 with Arendal speakers, I know he felt the same way.

thank you, I'll give it a listen. I'll probably end up wasting the extra £499 euros just to play with them vented once before sealing them back up :D

yes when I had my Sub3's I always went back to sealed but sealed on a ported sub is never fully sealed + you have the extra volume of the box
personally I would still go vented just to have the choice

Well the Spare Change dude is going to tell he´s thoughts on 2V vs. PB16U. He has pair of both now.
I think the 2V competes more with the PB4000 if looking price and measurements, but let´s see. The box opening video was about week ago so shouldn´t take too long now. @Quorra is waiting like a kid toys before christmas. ;)

He mentioned the dual 2V shortly here, click play!

Well the Spare Change dude is going to tell he´s thoughts on 2V vs. PB16U. He has pair of both now.
I think the 2V competes more with the PB4000 if looking price and measurements, but let´s see. The box opening video was about week ago so shouldn´t take too long now. @Quorra is waiting like a kid toys before christmas. ;)

haha wow.. wtf! so the KEFs beaten the Arendals??? :D

Will be sad of the PB16 is still king of infrasonics.. will go for that instead then...

oof doesnt sound good

haha wow.. wtf! so the KEFs beaten the Arendals??? :D

Will be sad of the PB16 is still king of infrasonics.. will go for that instead then...
same .. bout to cancel my preorder

his review probably wont be out for weeks

same .. bout to cancel my preorder

his review probably wont be out for weeks

I was really really hoping Arendal were going to match or better the PB16.

I get quality of bass is important and dynamics but also trying to touch that infrasonic level should have been a priority IMO.

Its sad that the PB16 is so ugly. are there any other alternatives to it?

I was really really hoping Arendal were going to match or better the PB16.

I get quality of bass is important and dynamics but also trying to touch that infrasonic level should have been a priority IMO.

Its sad that the PB16 is so ugly. are there any other alternatives to it?

i thought the new 2V was supposed to have more output down low then the pb16? based on the cedia measurements?

i thought the new 2V was supposed to have more output down low then the pb16? based on the cedia measurements?

Yeah, I find sparechange's little snippet there really confusing given he says the small KEFs go lower than the Arendal..!!!

And cabinet size does matter when you are talking ULF. I think that was a dig at JTR and PSA.

And cabinet size does matter when you are talking ULF. I think that was a dig at JTR and PSA.

Yeah, lets wait and see for his actual review because his facebook comments were reassuring that he's enjoying them. He introduced me to Arendal so sadly I do kind of trust his opinion.

I don't think he sucks up to brands too much either, he pretty much slaughterted KEF in his Q series speaker review IMO for example, but praised their subwoofers.

Even when he reveiwed the new speakers he has in, he did pretty much say they're more accurate and timbre matched (well they would as they're the same speaker) but the Arendals have better dynamics, soundstage and bass.

Out of box bit underwhelmed. Hopefully by now after tweaking and running them longer they shook the room! Better to wait the full video as there should be plenty of output in the infrasonic range. Shane has heard quite many subs from SVS, REL, HSU etc. so will be intresting. He usually says straight things if lacking/missing, so won´t be butt licking.

2V - 2279£
PB4000 - 2249£
PB16U - 3000£ (2500£ open box)

let’s be honest, this guy has zero idea how to set anything up. Let’s have a bet that he had the wrong EQ setting on.

Yeah, lets wait and see for his actual review because his facebook comments were reassuring that he's enjoying them. He introduced me to Arendal so sadly I do kind of trust his opinion.

I don't think he sucks up to brands too much either, he pretty much slaughterted KEF in his Q series speaker review IMO for example, but praised their subwoofers.

Even when he reveiwed the new speakers he has in, he did pretty much say they're more accurate and timbre matched (well they would as they're the same speaker) but the Arendals have better dynamics, soundstage and bass.

Can you post his comments here cuz I dont have facebook.

let’s be honest, this guy has zero idea how to set anything up. Let’s have a bet that he had the wrong EQ setting on.

I think he said he tweaked those and got them better.. :) But yeah it left bit of bad taste, better to wait the full video. I know he liked the ported 1961 1V model so it would be suprise if these wouldn´t deliver. First time he actually has two Arendals in that room! Would be nice to see the in-room response compared to he`s PB16U.

Bit of puzzled why he still has those B&Ws on and not Arendals (speakers) as i got the impression he prefered the latter more. And now it seems the Trinnov processor is leaving too..

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom