Anyone upgraded from 720p/1080i to 1080p set? Thoughts?

S

Stiffler05

Hi guys,

I currently have a 32" samsung LE32R31 tv. I've been pretty happy with it over the last year or so, using it with my pc and 360.

However i've become a little restless as the newer 1080p sets have come out. Seeing the specs of the new samsung LE40M86BD i'm quite tempted to upgrade my set.

I wanted to wait until i had a full HD set before getting HD-dvd or Blu-ray, so i could take advantage of 1080p.

So my questions is, has anyone done a similar upgrade? putting the 32" > 40" size difference aside, what was the jump in resolution/picture quality like?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve.

Houstie

Ive returned a Sharp LC37GD8E recently due to a fault and paid the extra £150 and bought the new Sharp 37XD1E, which is full 1080 and I can honestly say that the difference in picture is remarkable.

Empire Direct are doing it for £899.99 (+£25 del) just now but they waived my delivery because they delivered it while picking the faulty one up and they honoured the 5 year warranty gaurantee (i had with the faulty one ) for my new lcd..

so very happy with the upgrade ..:clap:

S

Stiffler05

Cool, did you try out hd-dvd/blu-ray on your old sharp?

If so was there a big difference between 1080i > 1080p? What's your viewing distance?

Thanks, Steve.

Houstie

Cool, did you try out hd-dvd/blu-ray on your old sharp?

If so was there a big difference between 1080i > 1080p? What's your viewing distance?

Thanks, Steve.

Yeah bought a sony (dvpns76h ) hdmi dvd player plus the hdmi cable and a new Thor Scart lead for my sky+ box to the LCD at the same time.

although the hd dvd picture was very good on the old sharp it looks slightly better on the new Sharp , but for sky and normal freeview channels the difference in the quality of picture is night and day on the new one .

my advice get a full 1080 lcd you wont be disappointed. As I'll be holding out for a Sky HD box for a few months yet so cant wait to see how the quality of this picture can improve with that.

im about 8- 10 feet away

S

SquintingBadger

1080i->1080p compared by using SD sources? What? How does that help?

I went from a 1366x768 TV to a 1920x1080p one. Totally worth it to avoid Scaling, and losing detail on, HD DVD and Blu-ray movies.

The latest video from AVForums

Dog Soldiers & Flatliners 4K, Black Phone, RRR & Mad God on digital, plus 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom