1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone tried this set-up?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gazz, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi – I’m ready to take the plunge into the home cinema lake so hearty thanks for all the useful info posted on these boards that I’ve mopped up over the last few months.
    So, I’d like if I may to pick your collective brains a bit more.

I’m looking at going for an HTPC set-up feeding the video capture card (IDS Falcon or WinTV) with composite for VCR (encompassing the tuner) and S-vid from the sat box (converted from RGB with a JS Tech converter (http://www.rgbtosvideo.com/) or something similar).

Sound out from the PC-DVD player via sound card with optical out to compatible amp system

For the video output, I’m looking at a Radeon 8500 taking the DVI output to a Proxima X350 DLP proj (specs: XGA DLP 1100 Lum – also sells as under the Ask M3 brandname)

Now – questions you better educated people could probably help me with
    1. Any better recommendations for cards?
    2. Does the sat and VCR hook up sound likt the best way?
    3. DVI connection enables the highest qual. feed to a digital PJ – is this true?
    4. Specs and numerous reviews I’ve seen on this PJ seem v good for the cash (GBP 2 to 2.5k) but I can’t find a UK place to see the thing working to find out if it’s as good as it sounds or whether I’m susceptible to rainbows – anyone have any experience/knowledge of this proj?

Sorry about the length of my first post – if any of you are still awake after my ramblings, could you pander to my curiosity?
    And of course once I get the kit installed I’ll try to provide useful posts in return.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    The Falcon is probably the best out of the current cards available to buy, but it is much more expensive. I would look to buy a cheaper card to try out DScaler and see how you get on. You could also try direct svideo connection to the projector, you may be happy with it. DVI in theory is great, in practice it has its limitations such as limited choice of resolutions and fixed refresh rates. This might be fine since you would normally run a DLP projector at native res and at 60Hz. With a Hitachi sx5500 which I had for a couple of days I had problems with stutter when using DVI while VGA was fine. The Radeon 8500 is a good choice especially now that ATI have fixed the gamma bug.

Jeff

3. Gazz

Gazz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx Jeff for coming back - leads me to another question, though. Is a 60Hz refresh enough to eliminate flicker on a big screen? (Mind you the specs on the Radeon card seem to support much higher refresh rates at XGA so might not be an issue?
    Also - saw another mention of the PJ on the US "Projector Central" site (seems like a good webbie to glean info from.
    Any opinions anyone?
    Sorry folks - so many questions - so little experience!!

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Panel projector (DLPs, LCD, LCOS etc) are usually fixed at 60Hz, they will take higher but just convert back to 60Hz internally. Feeding refresh rates other than 60Hz produces motion artifacts such as tearing where the top and botton parts of the screen go out of sync. Panel projectors don't flicker even at 60Hz.