1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone tried this DVD yet?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nathanf, May 6, 2005.

1. nathanf

nathanf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Digital Video Essentials (PAL)

An instructional video on how to take your home cinema system to the next level. DIGITAL VIDEO ESSENTIALS is an advanced calibration program produced by world-renowned home cinema expert Joe Kane. DVE helpfully walks you through system setups for NTSC, PAL and HDTV, with instructions and test patterns that will help you get the most from your home cinema.

No home cinema should be without this.

1.78 widescreen
    Basic, intermediate and advanced levels of video calibration
    Red, green and blue color filters
    Dolby Digital Pro-Logic, Dolby Digital Surround EX and DTS ES multichannel audio test signals
    More than 50 new video test patterns
    1.78 widescreen anamorphic and 1.33 test materials
    Runtime: 114 Min
    Region: 0
    Video Format: PAL

I currently use Blockbuster unlimited rentals, and having saw this on pluggedin.tv, checked and they had it in stock.

Is it worth ordering?

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    it's worth a play but IMHO quite difficult to understand and not very well layed out.

3. nathanf

nathanf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you do? Get an image on screen and then play around with your colur/contrast settings?

Am I right in thinking this is like a calibration tool? Ive had a similar one for my PC from the Dulux website (To make sure you accuratly order the accurate colour of paint)

4. nathanf

nathanf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive ordered this one too so I can feel like im in the student bar in Hollyoaks

[​IMG]

5. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    yes its a set up tool for sound and vision...has a number of different test screens for setting colour, contrast, brightness, etc, etc......it's a bit like the THX optimiser you get included on certain dvds (such as star wars).......no substitute for proper ISF calibration, which is next on my list

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    you wish ;)

7. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Are there any good alternatives to this?

I dont like DVE at all, just find it confusing and a bit rubbish - any info much appreciated!

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    i think that because there is so much interdependence between settings and also things in the service menu that mere mortals shouldn't play with there is no real alternative to getting it done professionally.

9. 888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have this. I think it is worth giving it a try. Tells you quite a bit about how colour, contrast, brightness and shapness work on TVs. There is also a set of cheap colour filters that help to adjust colour control on your TV.

Some of the sample footage also shows you how good pictures can be and expose the fact that most DVDs are poorly encoded.

Worth the £12 that I paid for it.

10. Orangelo

Orangelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if you can consider it an alternative due to the difference in price, but the best calibration software available is the Avia Professional Suite from Ovation Software. The new release was supervised by Guy Kou, well known video guru and regular poster in AVSForum. Across the many discs you will find test patters for almost everything, including pulse width modulation artifacts such as solarisation / posterization.

DVE is so inexpensive that is worth having it, even if it's just for the PLUGE patterns and the grayscale ramps. HTPC freaks out there, go check those below-black bars in your setup, you may find some surprises :rolleyes:

11. DAS

DAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the DVE for my Viera. Despite not really getting to grips with it and exploiting about 1% of it, I did end up with a better picture, albeit more by luck than judgement.

I do agree it is badly laid out - the menu structure is all over the place.

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Got to speak in DVEs favour here.
    You can actually watch the dvd as an audio and visual instruction manual.
    It talks you through exactly what you need to do for basic calibration of your home cinema. It tells you and shows you how to get the best out of what you have got.
    I think were people find it confusing and difficult to get to grips with is the actuall DVD navigation. There are various options when you put the disc in and this can be quite overwhelming if you are new to home calibration. There are also lots of test patterens that are not explained on the disc but these are not really ment for basic home calibration unless you alreaday have a very good understanding of what you need to do with them.

This is another disc out there call AVIA which is basicly the same but I have heard that it is easier to navigate and get to grips with.

[​IMG] [​IMG]