Anyone tried the LG RH4820W

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TailsNZ, Jul 19, 2004.

1. TailsNZ

TailsNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about buying the LG RH4820W, as I'm looking for a DVD Recorder with a HDD, that plays DVD+R/+RW even if it doesn't record to it, and is Progressive Scan in both Pal and NTSC. It's pretty hard to find information online for this player though, but it's cheap, less than 2/3 the price of the Panasonic E85 for example. I found a few worrying things though...

Somebody I found on Google at a different forum posted this:

---

LG RH4820W has another big problem. When the DVD recording to about 47
    minutes, the disc will begin a new title. But it need about 20
    seconds to process and it cannot recording the video in this 20
    seconds. The only solution is pause the video source before 47
    minutes and stop the DVD recorder. And then start the recording
    again manually.

---

On another board, someone posted this:

---

I have borrowed a LG RH-4820, and has notised that sometimes the sound
    and picture don't become synchronized when recording to the harddrive.
    I wonder what courses this?

---

Has anyone here tried it? What do you think?

Thanks very much!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    The Panasonic range (the E85 and E95) meets this requirement.

LG have had a few problems with their DVD recorder range. They have by far the best MPEG2 encoder/decoder on the market but it is installed in a poor design. The model currently available - the LG DR4810 - has a number of limitations:
    - No RGB input
    - No S-Video input on the rear panel
    - Occasional lip sync issues (!)
    - Fussy over media
    - Numerous minor glitches (artifacts, broken recordings etc)
    To be fair they are working hard to resolve these issues: the modified LG4812W update that will be released here should have resolved these problems and is likely to be a strong budget DVD recorder. However it might be prudent to wait and see before buying a LG set-top.

Get a Panasonic - tried and tested third generation HDD/DVDRs. ;)

3. TailsNZ

TailsNZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It hasn't been released there yet? That would explain why it's hard to find info on these models, as that and the LG RH4820W are already out here in Hong Kong. It's the 20 that I'm thinking about, but that's quite a long list of problems in the 10... hmmm....

Ah, only the E85H is here, not the "E85", if there's a difference. That one only writes to DVD-R/DVD-RAM, and doesn't read the + formats.

4. keyman26

keyman26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought one of these, but it was DOA - kept coming up on the LCD with 'HDD Check; and on the TV screen, it was 'preparing, please wait'
    after an hour, I reset the unit - then went out for 2 hours - came back, same deal, so finally left it running all night and you guessed it - 'please wait'.
    I figure that whatever it was supposed to be doing, it shouldn't take longer than 20 min to format/check an 80gb drive.
    also the hard disk is making that kinda click-twang sound that they make with the heads try to come out of the resting position but don't - like a busted stepper motor i guess.

I'm taking it back to the vendor today for a replacement

More importantly, It appears to be Zone 4 only - does anyone know of a hidden menu or a way to make this multizone (without opening the case)??
    If it can't read my zone 1 and 2 discs, its less useful to me than I initially thought.

5. kahung

kahung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just bought RH4820W, lips sync problem still same case with RH4820W. I bought for 1 day.

At first i am not confident with LG, plus my bad experience with their PC's DVD writer, LG color mobile. Not receive good support and they seems never consider much on user's experience with them.

I got interest to buy out of the menu of the recorders seems to be good and the demo attracted me also over some other choice e.g. Hyunda, ACL, etc.

Wont consider that LG's anything in future.

kahung
    Hong Kong

6. dudedb

dudedb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

For the lip sync problem try updating the firmware.

http://www.avbuzz.com/bbs/av/av-thread-41798.html

I haven't tried it yet but will later.

As for Region lock issue.

Obviously turn on the player. You can do this anytime as long as the player is on.

Open the disc tray with the remote.

The press "0" seven times. But there is a technique. You have to do it really slow.

e.g. Say you're on channel 2. The OSD will change to "0". Wait until it goes back to Channel 2, then press "0" again. Do this 7 times.

It will eventually come up with "Congraturations! Region Change Free" (and yes, that is how they spelt congratulations!)