1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone tried the BK XLS 200 yet?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Clint C, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    C'mon guys, I know a few of you have this sub... what's the verdict? Is there a sub it's most comparable with? Did Bertha get rid of the hum? Should I order one? :D

My Ruark Talisman's are crumbling when sent too much bass in movies, to the point where they're almost rattling, (not always, just when it gets bassy and the volume's up to about half way via a Yamaha RX-V795a amp) and I'm in need of an outlet to help them out.

The BK XLS 200 looks ideal, I'm just not brave enough to chuck money at it without some kind of feedback from you guys.

2. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in it also!!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It has the same driver and amp as the Ruark Vita 200 so should sound similar to that but at a much cheaper cost.

4. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered one, I found about 20 or so major recommendations here on this forum alone, so I braved it. Most always say its every bit as good (build and sound wise) as the £600 REL Q200E sub. Which despire what some say, still won a heck of alot of awards from most major British Hi-Fi Magazines. Mine is due on Friday and I cant wait, but this is my first stab at Professional and expensive Hi-Fi, and I am upgrading over a cheapo £100 Sony sub (machine built, mass produced rubbish).

5. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've ordered one which is due to arrive this week.
    It's replacing a Paradigm PDR10 which I use for AV only. I didn't really like it for stereo.
    I intend using the BK XLS 200 for both AV and Stereo and will report back with my views.

6. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hello Clintc - I would heartily recommend it (despite the hum) - I've been beyond busy at work so I haven't done anything about this yet but if I don't have the sub clicked right round to LFE then there's no hum so this is how I've got it at the mo..I upgraded from a PDR10 and there is a considerable step up especially for the price build quality & quality of bass is way better...in a nutshell - go for it!

Berth:smoke:

Dan - will be in touch soon (honest) if I don't have a mental breakdown before then...awrabest

7. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers guys, a great help. I can feel a purchase coming on. Although I would like to know how Dan resolves the hum for Berth. If it's just doing it when it's fully clicked for LFE then surely it must be a (minor) component issue? Personally I'd like to use the LFE setting but if it's gonna be humming then that's not good.

Dan, hurry and sort Berth's hum, I don't know how much longer I can hold out. :D

Clint.

8. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi All

I'd love to get to the bottom of Bertha's problem, it's made all the more interesting now, as it is not audible until the LFE is switched in.

Ive already suggested something to try, but I fully understand Bertha's reservations with playing around with a mains plug and earth wires.

It may be an earthing problem as has already been commented on, or it may be a faulty unit so Bertha please contact me at work and let me know who you are, then I can help.

Tom

9. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Perhaps this could be a candidate for a power buy ? :)

10. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here, here! :clap:

11. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bertha,

does the XLS200 go down much lower than the PDR10?

12. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I asked this direct to BK, they say it can go below 20Hz, prob about 15Hz or lower:smashin:

13. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Btstw

I think thats far to optimistic - that figure would have to be room assisted with the window open acting as a port tuned to <20hz - with 10 of them on at once:D

There website quotes 17hz +/- 6db which is no where near 20hz in real terms.

Regards,

GJC

P.S. I'm not knocking that sub just the quoted specs which are Rel like. Seems a good price though.:smashin:

14. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I asked because i've heard the PDR10 and so had a point of reference - have seen the figures but i think it's better to hear it really.

15. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I dont quite understand however is this;

The BK XLS 200 weighs 17.5kg right...On their main page it states the following:

By order of the CEO summer clearance offer. Not to be repeated, when there gone there gone. High end subwoofer suitable for both AV and serious Hi-Fi. We have coupled the renowned Peerless XLS 10 to our very own 200w BSB panel. Both these units are housed in a compact cabinet manufactured from 18mm and 25mm MDF finished in a two part semi gloss black (Duster friendly not a grit finish seen elsewhere) The sub comes complete and ready to go with a full set of accessories BK XLS 200.

Now firstly the Peerless XLS 10, that weighs 2.42kg and the 200w panel weighs 5kg, thats a total of 7.42kg. Of course there's the casing and connection to consider, but what else goes into it that totals so much weight?

I have also noticed that the REL Q200E (according to the site says: Forward-firing 250mm (10"), long-throw, heavy-duty driver with 7.6 kg magnet and 4 layer edge-wound voice-coil)...so how does this affect sound or quality etc? If the magnet is 3 times bigger...?:lesson:

16. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thought you may like to see a graph of the Frequency Response of the BK. Now if someone could tell me what it means ;)

Attached Files:

17. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

I would be interested in a power buy, Go on Tom what do you say.;) :smashin: :D Pretty Please.

18. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Have you ever felt the weight of MDF. I would hate to try and lift a sheet of HDF if such a thing exists. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

19. JIT

JIT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm looking to replace my Paradigm PS1000 so would this make a good upgrade?

20. pauljames

pauljames

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, I've made the decision and placed an order for one of these.

Should be arriving early next week. After set up and run in I shall post my comments if people are interested.

I'm not an home cinema or subwoofer expert so my opinion will not be as technical as some but hopefully will be of some use to others interested in this bargain sub. We shall see.

Cheers,
    Paul

21. bwstsw

bwstsw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They must be good Paul, I have read EVERY single quote from people who have had them, people who have heard them etc, all basically say its the twin sister clone of the REL Q200E, cant be a bad thing, I have ordered one too, keeping my fingers tightly crossed that its superb From what I also gather, if you want the best sub at under £500, there are about 10 candidates, but throw build quality, sound quality and power into the equation and that narrows it down to about 2 or 3 choices, 1 of which is the BK XLS 200 That’s basically what I have compiled from all the nagging questions and browsing that I have done. So there yar Hope you are as reassured as I am...A few hours ago I stumbled across a thread here in the AV forums about hoax power buys etc, 1 user assuming the identity of about a dozen people promoting a sub etc...but suffice to say the BK is NOT one of these, it truly does seem to the bargain of the decade! :smashin:

22. jasonjames71

jasonjames71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now dont laugh...i`m a bit of a noob. but i`m going to get rid of my yamaha yst thing its the 350 watt one(i think...it might 250).. will the BK XLS 200 sound as bassey as the yamaha or shall i have both , or would that sound awful. i`ll be running it with a denon 3802 and mourdant short 908`s and 4 903`s at back.

thanks

jason

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The bargain of the decade was the Paradigm Servo 15 being sold at £300 but unfortuantely that was last month and the prices are unlikely to be repeated.

For those people wanting a compact sub at around the £300 mark the BK sub is a very strong contender as there are no advertising and marketing costs in the price and if it was sold through a dealer network they would want to add a couple of hundred on top as their profit.

24. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They were £399 actually but I'll let you off because they threw in the X30 controller for nothing with mine (normally costs £100).

As for the BK's bass response, a +/-6dB response of 17Hz probably equates to a +/-3dB of around 25Hz.

I'm basing this on the fact that REL used to quote the Q200 as going down to 25Hz back when they used to quote the more normal +/-3dB figures. When they started using the more naughty +/-6dB figures all of a sudden it went down to 17Hz.

Matt.

25. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this fugure much differant to the PDR10?

26. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Arghh, I've just ordered one... couldn't wait for reports back on Berth's hum... Dan Gleebles please make sure it's tested for hum and everything else before it's shipped. :laugh:

3 weeks wait though... booo. :(

27. i-bert

i-bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have ordered one aslo.It will be partnered with my Denon a10se and the Eltax Chroma package.Hope it sounds good because i've never owned a Sub before.I can't wait.(get some overtime done you guys/gals at BK).:D

28. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think that's pretty much impossible to do at the factory. If subs hum due to ground loops it isn't really a "fault". Some are fitted with a ground lift switch that will prevent it from happening, but it's an additional expense for a feature that is rarely used. Most don't have one.

There are loads of threads covering subwoofer humming - try a search for info.

MuFu.

29. Clint C

Clint C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks MuFu, on that basis I think I'll wait until it arrives and see how it sounds. :smashin:

Three weeks... :( :( :(

30. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't suppose anyone who has got or is going to get a XLS200 lives anywhere Marlow Bucks so i could come round for a demo!