• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Anyone tried the 1Gb player from Ebuyer?

Daneel

Established Member
It's hard to tell, they look so similar. One reviewer on Ebuyer seem to think it's the safecom and another thinks it's the Samsung.

mattross

Established Member
[rant]If I were U I would avoid eBuyer like the plague! Recently had two nightmare orders with them that both went horribly wrong and took 2 months to get my refund. They're fine if the order turns up as planned and the items U buy work out-of-the-box, but when things go wrong eBuyer customer service is the worst I have ever encountered.[/rant]

Daneel

Established Member
I've gone for one of these and will write a review. I figure at worst I've wasted £30 as a 1GB flash device would come in handy and they cost £50.

I also got some Shure E2c phones.

Thanks for the info about Ebuyer mattross. I've only had a problem once where they missed an item off my order. They dealt with it quickly and 3 days later I had it. i was expecting much worse. Pot luck I guess.

Daneel

Established Member
The player has arrived, and so far, it's not bad at all. I'm going to do a full review but I'm using that as an excuse to put together a proper website for one of my domains that I have hosting for. It may take some time so here's the basic info.

It's the Safecom unit, it comes in their packaging.

It's very small, measuring 54mm x 23mm x 23mm. It doesn't weigh much either even with the battery in.

It looks decent but the plastic ends spoil it.

It doesn't need the driver, which is a good thing for those not so tech savvy as the CD that came with it was a mess and won't read.

You can use it as a pen drive very easily the only difference is you have to go through a couple of menus rather than it just being plug-and-go. The manual says you don't even need a battery in it for this use but I haven't tested that yet.

Transfer rates are almost bang on 1MB/sec so only USB 1.1 rates despite the claim that it is USB 2.0. For a 1GB unit though, unless you swap out all your mp3s regularly, this isn't a big problem. It takes about 1 min to transfer an album.

Sound quality is very reasonable. Noise level could be a bit lower but I'm a fussy sod and am happy to live with it so I'd guess most people won't notice it at all. I tried it with some £15 Sony earbuds and it sounded quite reasonable. The phones it comes with aren't too bad but I would have to replace them (I have some Shure E2c phones on the way). Just for fun I plugged in my Sennheiser HD580s. I had to turn the volume up near max (that's when I noticed the noise level mentioned earlier) and it actually sounded not bad at all. I would think the battery life would be greatly reduced though.

Overall, for £35 (inc delivery) above what I would have paid for a 1GB flash drive, I think it's a bargain.

S

spugie

Hi,
I just bought one of these second hand from ebay. Unfortunatly the guy didn't have the instructions and safecom website are useless at answering my questions. Can you tell me how I adjust the volume on the unit. I know its a daft question but there is no button on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom