1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone tried Surround Amp Front-L/R pre-out to Tube Amp aux-in when watching movie ?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AVJ, Jul 22, 2004.

1. AVJ

AVJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all AV Forums friends !

Anyone tried Surround Amp Front-L/R pre-out to Tube Amp aux-in when watching movie ?!

I owned a Marantz SR7000 Surround Receiver, and a Houston Mini-2 Tube Amp.
    Will I gain any benefit (in sound quality), when connecting the Surround Receiver's Front-Left/Right channels pre-out to the Tube Amp aux-in ?
    (note : my Tube Amp do NOT has any power-in or processor-in, just ordinary aux-in, cd-in)

i.e. the signal path will then be :-
    DVD Player (Philips 963SA) digital-audio-output ===> Surround Receiver (Marantz SR7000) Front-L/R pre-out ===> Tube Amp ===> Front-L/R speaker (KEF Q50)
    --- of course, the remained channels (Center & Rear) will still be driven by the Marantz.

Will the above idea improve the overall sound quality ??!

2. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't use a tube amp, but use exactly the same arrangement taking the front pre-outs and taking them to a line in on my Linn amp/s.

This has a twofold improvement; firstly there is an improvement in front channel reproduction, secondly it allows me to retain a 'pure' two channel system too in the same room to play CDs through rather than through my AV amp.

A slightly oblique answer I know.

I guess if your valve amp is powerful enough and your mains are efficient enough then you shouldn't have a problem, the only concern might be if your amp/speakers can't reach Dolby reference level in your room (105db), but then again that may only be an issue if you listen anywhere near those volumes.

HTH