Anyone tried 9.1???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by John Watts, Dec 20, 2002.

1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi all and festive greetings,
    I am pondering something and i wonder if a few of you more electronically minded people out there can help.

I have a Denon 3801 driving my seven speakers and my sub. I want to know if its possible to add 2 more speakers to my ES/EX channels by simply twisting 2 sets of wires into my banana plugs at the speaker outputs on the back of the amp?
    Obviously im aware that i wont create extra channels but will this 4 speaker array at the back be possible?

I'm not questioning what it will sound like that is something i will find out and if it sounds good then great, if not then hey at least i tried something new and tinkering is fun.

What i really need to know is,is this safe to do?

Alternatively is it possible to run the extra 2 speakers safely in a serial way ie daisy chained?

Hope you can help and thanks in advance,
    Regards,John.:)

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Hi John

You´d need to wire them in Series, like the diagram in the 5th post HERE

Don´t forget you still have the Surround B terminals to connect extra speakers to (but they share the same amps). This would give you extra left & right surrounds but not EX/ES channels.

I´ll let you make your own mind up about whether it sounds good or not!;)

Cheers

3. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for the tip Jase i think i will try the surround B outputs it will be a lot easier.
    BTW which amps do surround B share with, the front L&R or the surround L&R?
    Cheers,
    John.

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Surround B shares the Surround Left & Right amps. You will have to enable the speakers in the main setup menu and also balance the channel levels for each mode Surround A, Surround B and Surround A&B.

If you want to do a quick test of what four surround speakers will sound like, switch the Surround Back speakers on but select MATRIX OFF. This will redirect the sound of Surround Left & Right channels out of the Surround Backs at the same time. i.e 5.1 but using 7.1 speakers.

5. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks, one other thing before i pull it all out tommorow ( work today bah humbug ) will the amp accept banana plugs or is it just the speaker end that accepts these clever little devices?

Also can good banana plugs actually improve sound quality or are they purely designed for ease of use?

Cheers again,
    John.:)

6. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    The amp will accept Banana Plugs as well, but you´ll need a small screwdriver to remove the little rubber bungs that are in the binding posts, just pop them out gently.

I use Banana Plugs for ease, can´t say I heard a difference compared to bare wire, certainly saves faffing about though!

7. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    John

Technically, bannana plugs degrade the sound because of the extra connection and that they are made of a material that is a poorer conductor (Gold or Nickel) than copper wire. However, the reason they are used is that copper oxidises over time and the connection deteriorates. Having said that most people don't attach bannana plugs correctly and suffer from the same (oxidised connection) problem.

The correct technique for attaching bannana plugs is to screw the screw tightly on to the wire to give a 'cold' weld and then fill the wire entry end with solder to stop oxygen reaching the joint.

8. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    9 speakers from a 3801??? I pity the poor power transformer in that...it'll have it's work cut out...!

9. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks GaryG,usefull info.

Daninthemix are you saying the 3801 is not up to driving 9 speakers?
    It currently drives 7 as well as my servo15 very well and my original question was to determine whether an extra 2 was a problem.
    As noboby has said it will be a problem then i assume im ok to go ahead with this experiment, however if you could maybe elaborate as to why 9 speakers are too many i would be very gratefull to hear your thoughts and advice about the 3801's capabilities.
    My thoughts are that if i use the surround B like Jase suggested there can be no problem or else why would Denon put them there???
    Maybe you know better and if you do please tell me what to do. Oh and dont forget to tell Denon.
    Regards,
    John

10. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Actually, I've been very surprised people have said it would be ok...

As you will know, the power would be shared between speakers etc. and also, won't you get a different impedence with 2 speakers connected on 1 socket?

11. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well kinda...if you're using easy to drive 8ohm speakers it won't be a problem, and technically it'll be more like the cinema, where they have banks of surround speakers up the left and right walls :cool:

12. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I know what your all saying but im not using the same sockets, im using the surround B outputs which are designed for putting speakers in another room. Only difference is im putting them in the same room, surely this is no problem.
    Cheers again,
    John.
    BTW has anyone else tried this before? what were your results?
    I'd be supprised if nobody else has had a go at this especially those with big rooms.

13. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ah, i see now, sorry, yeah, shouldnt be a problem i guess...

Btw, remember in cinemas they would probably use seperate amplifiers for each speaker.

14. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Yes, with a Denon 3801 and my current A1SE. To be honest, I didn´t like the results, it buggered up the surround stage at the back, just a bit too much going on for my liking. Personally I prefer just the normal Left & Right Surrounds and a pair of Surround Back speakers.

If you are running 8 ohm speakers, you should be ok. Denon give you the option of running both Surround A & Surround B speakers together (Surround A/B) if you wish.

The original idea behind Surround A & Surround B was so that you could switch between speaker types depending on the source i.e Dipole speakers on Surround A for movies and normal direct radiators on Surround B for music etc.