Anyone take JL to court over the worn out pixel/screen burn issue ?

carjoem

Standard Member
Reaction score
After many weeks of exchanging emails JL won't admit to my LGOLED55B7V being faulty. They claim the screen burn/yellow screen issue ( confirmed by LG Tech ) is due to the fact that I watch the wrong programs for too long (!) I had a phone call from them weeks ago saying they had arranged with LG for a repair @ £250 which they would reimburse to me. The gentleman said he could not put this in writing, nor would he give me an email address as he didn't have one. When i rang LG they said this was not the case as no chargeable repairs were being done until April at the earliest. As it turns out this has been put back to a tentative May/June, I say tentative because LG said it was possible it might not happen even then. In the meanwhile the Partner & Director Relations Case Manager has taken it over, Basically he has offered an extra payment of £50 because of the inconvenience. When I point out that the 5 year guarantee back in July 2018 made no mention of pixel/screen issues and offered a repair or replacement all I get is " we have no liability under warranty because its not a fault - its how the TV has been used. So I just have to wait on LG starting to repair again. Any ideas ? my inclination is to buy a new TV from RS and claim against JL in th small claim court for half the cost + an extra amount for all the time an aggravation.

What is JL's definition of 'the wrong programmes', and how long is 'too long'?

Has LG confirmed that such programmes cause the defect on your TV?

Have you contacted Citizens Advice to discuss the issue?

After many weeks of exchanging emails JL won't admit to my LGOLED55B7V being faulty. They claim the screen burn/yellow screen issue ( confirmed by LG Tech ) is due to the fact that I watch the wrong programs for too long (!) I had a phone call from them weeks ago saying they had arranged with LG for a repair @ £250 which they would reimburse to me. The gentleman said he could not put this in writing, nor would he give me an email address as he didn't have one. When i rang LG they said this was not the case as no chargeable repairs were being done until April at the earliest. As it turns out this has been put back to a tentative May/June, I say tentative because LG said it was possible it might not happen even then. In the meanwhile the Partner & Director Relations Case Manager has taken it over, Basically he has offered an extra payment of £50 because of the inconvenience. When I point out that the 5 year guarantee back in July 2018 made no mention of pixel/screen issues and offered a repair or replacement all I get is " we have no liability under warranty because its not a fault - its how the TV has been used. So I just have to wait on LG starting to repair again. Any ideas ? my inclination is to buy a new TV from RS and claim against JL in th small claim court for half the cost + an extra amount for all the time an aggravation.

Certainly not alone with this issue check the last few pages here

Choice is yours naturally if you wish to go through small court claim but I would suggest try an solicitors email first that might force JL hand at least, but hopefully LG resume the OLED panel swap service at least you got a date of May/June, others on the other thread I linked above said maybe soon or not at all.

I think JL have been fair giving compensation here, but its LGs fault also the OLED panel swap service has stopped with the other thread LG recommended they find a 3rd party TV repairer local to them and get them to repair it so this appears the quicker and easier route. You could just give the £250 and £50 and get them to swap the OLED panel.

Stronger chance also the newer OLED panels may need a boards due to connections also so it may come to around that price or if its higher perhaps ask JL for more £, or cover the rest if possible by yourself if its not too much naturally.

Rs are having the same issue as yourself btw so going with Rs changes little, they are all claiming customer 'misuse' when everyone knows this is 100% false, you can't mis-use a TV by watching BBC news or anything else after all.

The newer LG OLED TVs from 2018+ or more accurately the ones with improved software techniques and panels should have solved this burn in issue, but since some 2018/2019 TVs used the older panels issues can still pop up, so any OLEDs really from 2020/1 really should have this covered oddly and hopefully no burn in.

If buying a new TV, I would advise at this point Currys (they pretty much ignore burn in issues) with LG since they partner with them and just replace the oled panel or write off the TV if no panel exist (the better way imo!) or JL but take out the 5 year Burn in cover so you are good for 5 years regardless.

As it stands imo the 3rd party local tv repairer and some quotes are worth doing at least, while not ideal and certainly not your responsibility its the quicker, cheaper and easier route imo.

Apologies for not responding to relies earlier but unfortunately I am trying to deal with domestic issues that have occurred since my original post and still ongoing. If I got the opportunity I was going to post the exact words used by JL.

Due to the stress levels I am experiencing I have considered maybe I should ask JL to apply the £300 compensation against the LG OLED55C14LB that they have reduced to clear @ £879. just to get rid of the hassle.

I should have added that LG suggested an independent repair would be quicker, but the cost was estimated at " well over £1000+ " but they expect me to pay, since it is out of their ( LG ) warranty.

Apologies for not responding to relies earlier but unfortunately I am trying to deal with domestic issues that have occurred since my original post and still ongoing. If I got the opportunity I was going to post the exact words used by JL.

Due to the stress levels I am experiencing I have considered maybe I should ask JL to apply the £300 compensation against the LG OLED55C14LB that they have reduced to clear @ £879. just to get rid of the hassle.

I should have added that LG suggested an independent repair would be quicker, but the cost was estimated at " well over £1000+ " but they expect me to pay, since it is out of their ( LG ) warranty.

Take care of health 1st :smashin:

At least you have some options rather then waiting on LGs panel swap service to resume, still it is true Lg does sometimes stop it and then start it again not sure why that is but its happen few times in the last few years. Obviously don't pay £1K for a repair, not when LG do it for £250-300 for the oled panel swap.

If you can get £300 off the £879 its not the worst compromise I have seen tbf, but I would still push JL for more discount since its not your mis-use or fault the TV broke down and that LG can't repair it. Really its down to the retailer to sort this mess and free by all counts as we know.

Maybe you can get the 5 year burn in cover chucked in free or reduced and get a more heavy discount on it, its worth trying this since you never know till you try. Goodluck

Id just like to add that ive got a bit of experience regarding the small claims court....i took parcel force to court and won. PM me if youve got any questions...or ask on here...

I started court proceedings against JL but my local sherriff court rejected my case 3 times but I am adamant that I done everything correctly at my end.
A couple of weeks ago I made a claim for the screen burn against my house insurance and was offered either a £1349 cash settlement or a £1499 voucher settlement and chose the latter (Amazon voucher) less my £350 excess.
It was sorted out in a matter of hours. When I think about the amount of time and effort and e-mails to LG and JL it actually made me chuckle.
I had several e-mails from both JL and LG stating that the TV was suffering from "accidental damage" which made me think of the home insurance avenue.
Save yourself any more stress and give this a try.
I have my fingers crossd for you.

I started court proceedings against JL but my local sherriff court rejected my case 3 times but I am adamant that I done everything correctly at my end.
A couple of weeks ago I made a claim for the screen burn against my house insurance and was offered either a £1349 cash settlement or a £1499 voucher settlement and chose the latter (Amazon voucher) less my £350 excess.
It was sorted out in a matter of hours. When I think about the amount of time and effort and e-mails to LG and JL it actually made me chuckle.
I had several e-mails from both JL and LG stating that the TV was suffering from "accidental damage" which made me think of the home insurance avenue.
Save yourself any more stress and give this a try.
I have my fingers crossd for you.
Good on them for winning, does not going through the house insurance though make them bump up the cost next year?

It's the usual cop-out by both JL & LG. JL, to my mind, is clearly trying to duck out of doing anything significant to help, and nor really is LG.

JL is not the company it once was. Its guarantees aren't worth the electrons used to display such on its website. LG is a big, slippery company that will do anything to avoid actually offering any substantive customer support. Try raising a support call. Even when you present evidence that can prove beyond doubt that there's an issue with their products, they still try and blame their customers. Other big companies are generally just as bad. After all, indirectly they have your money, so they don't really care.

OLED technology to me reminds of the old days of plasma, where screen burn was a constant worry, especially on material that had static dogs or rolling ticker tape type displays. I still think that it's a technology, which for all of its benefits, is flawed.

Having to resort to making a claim on household insurance sounds crazy too.

Just noticed this - any fix or action recommendations?

Attachments

• 20240310_151829.jpg
    20240310_151829.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 18

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom