Quantcast

Anyone still using cd's?

DIBSTER

I use dBPoweramp, and I rip to FLAC at 44.1 kHz/16-bit. Standard CDs are 44.1 kHz/16-bit - and, at the simplest level, you can not produce anything which wasn't there in the first place...

FLAC is generally more commonly accepted by a range of players, and can also carry much more detailed metadata.

Another vote here for dBPowerAmp for ripping my CD's into FLAC files.

Over the years I've ripped over 1500 Cds, almost exclusively via dBPowerAmp. Easy to use, accurate, and compared to EAC, fast. I did try EAC but every CD took an age to rip so jacked that in.

dannnielll

I still use CDs occasionally, like I do with any other medium. Why would I want to change it?
I have got all my favourite tracks from many CDs on mp3s, I can play through my vintage hi-fi. But I'd never go to the effort of transferring whole CDs, it's not that important, or worth the effort.
Now and again I put on a CD and just let it run, "for the hell of it."

"So much to do, so little time."
I Fully follow that argument. The Chromecast audio was the favourite upgrade to allow good vintage kit handle the streaming. And with any home network and a bit of glue software everything that has been ripped can be played anywhere in the house. So rather than tackle the mind numbing task of attempting everything, just do it on an intermittent basis. I put the majority of the family CDs as FLACs as a retirement project, and were I to lose the data, I would lose the will to live. But augmenting it casually is no big deal

I Fully follow that argument. The Chromecast audio was the favourite upgrade to allow good vintage kit handle the streaming. And with any home network and a bit of glue software everything that has been ripped can be played anywhere in the house. So rather than tackle the mind numbing task of attempting everything, just do it on an intermittent basis. I put the majority of the family CDs as FLACs as a retirement project, and were I to lose the data, I would lose the will to live. But augmenting it casually is no big deal

I'm quite selective, rather than CDs my first choice is one of these, it's for "the nostalgia element."
Due to the limited choices of these from the age of vinyl, you have to really like something to include it from whichever era.

For the most part, the thousands of mp3s I have on a stick in the side of the TV I can play through my vintage hi-fi, are usually ignored.

dannnielll

I'm quite selective, rather than CDs my first choice is one of these, it's for "the nostalgia element."
Due to the limited choices of these from the age of vinyl, you have to really like something to include it from whichever era.

For the most part, the thousands of mp3s I have on a stick in the side of the TV I can play through my vintage hi-fi, are usually ignored.
Well that is generally the best thing to do with low data rate MP3. In fairness the 320k MP3 s are getting into the "..Are you sure its not butter " territory

gibbsy

At this moment I'm listening to the Steven Wilson remix of Jethro Tull's Benefit on CD. Whether it's Wilson's remixing prowess coming to the fore but this album sounds wonderful, as in fairness do all of Wilson's remixes from Tull's back catalogue.

Still got the vinyl locked away in the loft. Heaven knows what state my vinyls are in now, I've not looked at them this century.

Ron Hilditch

Standard Member
Listening to Little Feat, Let It Roll on CD. Americana doesn't sound better than this. Been going through my CD collection since buying a Denon DCD2500NE. Vinyl for the time being is taking a back seat!

simonblue

Distinguished Member
At this moment I'm listening to the Steven Wilson remix of Jethro Tull's Benefit on CD. Whether it's Wilson's remixing prowess coming to the fore but this album sounds wonderful, as in fairness do all of Wilson's remixes from Tull's back catalogue.

Still got the vinyl locked away in the loft. Heaven knows what state my vinyls are in now, I've not looked at them this century.
You got to go look :D

gizlaroc

I got rid of CDs just over 5 years ago.

I kept the player for SACD and DVD-A, but I have been with Tidal 5 years now.
Qobuz and Tidal beat CD for quality and get to try so much more music.

I used to buy around 4-5 CDs a month I guess, but listen to so much more now.

Rasberry Pi, Tone Board Dac, Qobuz/Tidal and Volumio sounds incredible.
Beats the £3500 disc/dac set up I had 5 years back and beats all the £2000 streamers too and cost £120. How things move on.

simonblue

Distinguished Member
I got rid of CDs just over 5 years ago.

I kept the player for SACD and DVD-A, but I have been with Tidal 5 years now.
Qobuz and Tidal beat CD for quality and get to try so much more music.

I used to buy around 4-5 CDs a month I guess, but listen to so much more now.

Rasberry Pi, Tone Board Dac, Qobuz/Tidal and Volumio sounds incredible.
Beats the £3500 disc/dac set up I had 5 years back and beats all the £2000 streamers too and cost £120. How things move on.
Sorry but i have heard this so many times,my £120 system sound so much better than,those expensive ones out their,i have turned up to hear them,and they sound crap.
:)

IntelliVolume

Count me in for still listening to CDs -- physical media, all the time!

gizlaroc

Sorry but i have heard this so many times,my £120 system sound so much better than,those expensive ones out their,i have turned up to hear them,and they sound crap.

It is not a £120 system, it is a £120 source.

Raspberry Pi with the iFi PSU into the Tone Board Dac, has beaten so many other sources. Auralic Aries, Meridian MS600 etc. and certainly better than the Dacs I had from Meridian, Bel Canto etc. that were the ones I had ended up with over the years.

To be fair, it is only what you find in those expensive DACs and streamers anyway, if it was to go into a fancy case, go through the marketing, packaging, through a distributor and then through the normal retail chains then it would be as expensive as all the main contenders anyway.

The Khadas is just incredibly smooth and detailed, it is a great, great bit of kit.
You can stick one on any device to try, it has coax input as well as usb.

I think you have been listening to the wrong stuff. ;)

dannnielll

Simon.. the DAC to which he refers has a very strong following, and uses a top quality chip the ESS model so I would not be so quick to judge. He has not identified his amplifier or his headphones or speaker..
What he is comparing is just the front end . I suspect that were he to drive his CDs through that system using the CD player as a transport or via local home streaming ,the result will be superior to his Tidal etc

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member

Trending threads

Top Bottom