Quantcast

Anyone still using cd's?

Vogon

There is.

Nirvana's Nevermind and Amy Winehouse's Back To Black will be among the first records to be released in the format, which comes to the UK this month.

Listeners will need a Blu-Ray player and a stereo system to play the discs, which promise to deliver "the sound as it was intended by the artist".
Ok I need to look into this and buy these 2 then :)
Is the audio going to be sent digital over Co-Ax, or will it be limited to HDMI for copy protection or Analogue outputs like SACD ?

Edit: found the page showing several titles ... Pure Audio
Looks like another one that hasn't taken off as that news article was in 2013 and I never knew they existed :blush:

Last edited:

gibbsy

Ok I need to look into this and buy these 2 then :)
Is the audio going to be sent digital over Co-Ax, or will it be limited to HDMI for copy protection or Analogue outputs like SACD ?

Edit: found the page showing several forthcoming titles ... Pure Audio
Out of that list I may give Supertramp a punt. Would rather listen to it on SACD as Breakfast in America is one of the best SACDs available. There's less titles on that list than gets released on SACD, especially classical and jazz, on a monthly basis. Still prefer my music on a good stereo system rather than 5.1.

Vogon

I just edited my post, I didn't realise that news article was in 2013 !
Yes for listening on a stereo system, which was the idea behind them from what I can gather.
Presumably though, like SACD they would have to use the BDP DAC and output via Analogue RCA, to enable the majority of Stereo Amps to play them ?

dan1979

With places like musicmagpie there's never been a better time to be a CD buyer. If I like an album I want to own it and keep it.

I tried streaming a few times but never felt right. Great on my phone though.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Looks like another one that hasn't taken off as that news article was in 2013 and I never knew they existed :blush:
Yep, it didn't take off for numerous reasons. No one knows they exist, the disks were a high cost, and other issues.

I have a few of them. Great, I can play them anywhere in the house as just a cheap ordinary bluray player plays them and I have Playstations and blu-ray players everywhere. And the disk storage is huge in comparison to a CD so you can have HD audio.

But if I buy a CD it is cheap and I can rip it to FLAC and play those FLAC files on my laptop, on my phone, in my car, etc.

Within the Bluray box was a coupon for one digital download.

And it's the same old tired titles.

Supertramp etc.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Out of that list I may give Supertramp a punt. Would rather listen to it on SACD as Breakfast in America is one of the best SACDs available. There's less titles on that list than gets released on SACD, especially classical and jazz, on a monthly basis. Still prefer my music on a good stereo system rather than 5.1.
Supertramp - Crime of the Century is 2.0 and on the disk as PCM and DTS HD.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Looking at Yes - Close to the Edge, on Bluray audio, there was an included CD, and on the bluray disk, there are stereo and surround mixes. All stored as LPCM as early bluray players couldn't handle some of the later audio formats.

Numerous other song edits are also included.

With the bluray solely doing audio and no video there's a huge amount of space for the audio.

The only thing shown on a screen is a basic menu which you can live without.

gibbsy

Supertramp - Crime of the Century is 2.0 and on the disk as PCM and DTS HD.
Thanks for that Sonic. I could by-pass my Denon receiver with a direct analogue connection to my Rega amp, so even better than a 5.1 as far as I'm concerned.

Custard Gun

Standard Member
I still buy CDs. I've gone digital with everything else such as video games, books/magazines and movies, but I still prefer to have the physical media when it comes to music. I do use Spotify, mainly in the car and at work for convenience, but often find a lot of the music I like isn't on there meaning the only option is to track down a CD or LP (usually from Bandcamp). Since a lot of people are off-loading their old CDs in favour of streaming, there has never been a better time for picking up cheap CDs. I bought 6 used CDs from Musicmagpie last week for £11 with free delivery. Can't grumble at that!

dannnielll

I still buy CDs. I've gone digital with everything else such as video games, books/magazines and movies, but I still prefer to have the physical media when it comes to music. I do use Spotify, mainly in the car and at work for convenience, but often find a lot of the music I like isn't on there meaning the only option is to track down a CD or LP (usually from Bandcamp). Since a lot of people are off-loading their old CDs in favour of streaming, there has never been a better time for picking up cheap CDs. I bought 6 used CDs from Musicmagpie last week for £11 with free delivery. Can't grumble at that!
11 quid?. Standard in a charity shop is 1 euro, or in a Hospice Shop in Belfast 4 for 1 £.. Even brand new releases of old favourites ..if you like that class of thing Nat King Cole , Elvis , are 6 quid for compilations of 3 or 4 CDs.

Custard Gun

Standard Member
11 quid?. Standard in a charity shop is 1 euro, or in a Hospice Shop in Belfast 4 for 1 £.. Even brand new releases of old favourites ..if you like that class of thing Nat King Cole , Elvis , are 6 quid for compilations of 3 or 4 CDs.
It was all black and death metal stuff. I'm not sure how much luck I'd have finding that in a charity shop. ;)

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Charity shops can be fun and you might find a great bargain but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to one for CD shopping. Musicmagpie may not be as cheap and they do catch on to what is sought after and price accordingly but the choice is enormous and you can easily search for the particular pressing of the album you want, all while sitting at home on your sofa.

dannnielll

Charity shops can be fun and you might find a great bargain but I wouldn't go out of my way to go to one for CD shopping. Musicmagpie may not be as cheap and they do catch on to what is sought after and price accordingly but the choice is enormous and you can easily search for the particular pressing of the album you want, all while sitting at home on your sofa.
Ah yeah, but sometimes the thrill is the hunt.

gibbsy

Last time I visited our local charity shop it was full of Spice Girls and Daniel O'Donnell. The only thing I can garnish from that is that children have grown up and fled the nest and a lot of old ladies had passed on.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I prefer buying new tbh I bought 300 used cds off here as a job lot, and listen to none of them :facepalm: I shifted half of them on to a charity shop as it goes. That gamble didn't pay off...mind I paid less then 50p a disc, so no great loss.

Costello

CDs for me. I have Spotify but that’s mostly for my mobile to listen when running or dog walking. CDs are like books and have an autobiographical quality to them. My children don’t get what all the “silver circles” are, though :thumbsdow

dannnielll

Last time I visited our local charity shop it was full of Spice Girls and Daniel O'Donnell. The only thing I can garnish from that is that children have grown up and fled the nest and a lot of old ladies had passed on.
[/QUOT

Last edited:

drummerman

Banned
Interesting. So far almost everyone (on this forum) chooses a physical media over streaming as their main playback option ... .

Personally I could'nt go back to that unless I'd lived somewhere without internet access.

Having thousands and thousands of artists in hifi quality at my fingertips without the mess is just too nice and convenient.

When I collected CD's I found I played some ever so often whilst many didn't see the light of day again after an initial play or two.

I do get the enjoyment some get playing records (not to be confused with storing them and keeping everything dust free), I did too but I never had that with cd's.

With records I also found I bought a lot of s*** if I thought it was cheap enough, just because it was vinyl. Stuff I would not normally listen to only for them to hog even more space 😁.

If I ever do vinyl again, never say never, I'd self impose a strict limit of my 100 favorite records. If I'd wanted to add one to that another one would have to go. TT? Cheap and cheerful Rega/Project. No faffing about anymore.

Last edited:

L33 LEG

Standard Member
I always listen the CDs, whether it be at home, in my car or in my truck all day at work. I do have usbs with loads of albums on for whilst I'm out to make it easier but at home I only ever used CD or vinyl. It's nice searching through hundreds of albums and physically opening the case and putting it into my stereo. Vinyls are even more fun as it's a constant search and change over. You can tell that I've not much else to do whilst at home ha.

daddy999

I’m still using vinyl and cd’s. I have dabbled into streaming, it’s ok, but i enjoy the interaction with my hifi, the loading a cd, cleaning a record and placing a needle on an LP, and at least I own the media for life.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Interesting. So far almost everyone (on this forum) chooses a physical media over streaming as their main playback option ... .

Having thousands and thousands of artists in hifi quality at my fingertips without the mess is just too nice and convenient.
The problem is, 'hifi quality' doesn't really mean anything and I think this is partly why a lot of us stick to CD's or stuff we've ripped ourselves. I have multiple copies of some albums and some versions sound considerably better than others, usually the oldest ones sounding best before bands and labels started messing with them so they can re-release as supposedly new and better. As a diehard music fan I will always try and seek out the best versions of the albums I love and you don't really get that chance when using a streaming service, you just get what you're given.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
Another +1 for physical formats!

I buy CD's, Vinyl and even cassettes too!

I'm hoping this will kill the Thread: my last four purchases have been 2 albums by Dead Or Alive, an album by Sybil and one by Sonia - all written and produced by the mighty Pop juggernaut that was Stock, Aitken & Waterman!

You can't go wrong with a bit of SAW! :)

drummerman

Banned
The problem is, 'hifi quality' doesn't really mean anything and I think this is partly why a lot of us stick to CD's or stuff we've ripped ourselves. I have multiple copies of some albums and some versions sound considerably better than others, usually the oldest ones sounding best before bands and labels started messing with them so they can re-release as supposedly new and better. As a diehard music fan I will always try and seek out the best versions of the albums I love and you don't really get that chance when using a streaming service, you just get what you're given.
I guess I'm not an audiophile anymore, just enjoying music.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Rarely listen to cds and even more rare to buy them. I stream most of my music from my nas, and most of my collection has been ripped, but have gone more analogue, preferring vinyl over both when having a good listen.

Trending threads

Latest News

TV sales rise as UK stays home
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 30th March 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
UK telecoms come together to keep country connected
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sharp and NEC display venture to push 8K + 5G tech