• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be offline from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for a few hours while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

Anyone still holding out putting the heating on?

wiz

Distinguished Member
I'm just putting it on for the odd hour to take the chill off

djcla

Distinguished Member
Mine comes on under 20 / 21 degrees I have it like that all year round. The heating is set for a a few hours in mornings and from about 4 to 9 at night and works for me.

Chimney being swept soon ready to start using the stoves :)

jassco

Distinguished Member
It's on 24/7, albeit with a thermostat set to 18 downstairs and 20 upstairs. Having a 3 month old means having to be up and about any time of day or night. Once he sleeps through the night we can turn it off between 9pm and 7

simonlewis

I haven't had my heating on since january.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Good man

Flashy

Cracked a couple of weeks ago. Probably have it on for two hours in the evenings, and that's it. Have refused the switch to the winter duvet, though. That would be a step too far.

a l e x

Distinguished Member
I gave in to the whining and put it on. Couple of hours in the morning and a couple on a night. Only set to 18 though as that's usually fine.

image.png

mjn

Distinguished Member
It's "on" 24/7, but only activated once or twice a few weeks ago. Driving home last night at 9pm, it was 15 degrees. No need for heating.

NewfieDrool

Banned
Had both CH and stove on a few times. With the new boiler it's cheap to use the CH so I like a nice cosy home to settle down too.
Stoves been running on free wood I prepared last year which is even better.

Navvie

Heating went on last night for 20 minutes... was having the boiler serviced. Other than that, it hasn't been on since February.

Thermostat is set to 18 and the temperature hasn't dropped below 19 yet.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Getting one of those room stat things fitted in a couple of weeks hopefully will give me more control

wiz

Distinguished Member
Tight git! :D:D

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
I don't get this obsession wth when to switch the heating on. Ours is "on" all year round, but due to thermostat setting only kicks in when it's cold. This is what thermostats are for surely. It's akin to people that have a mobile phone but only switch it on when wanting to make a call.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Mine has been set to come on @ 19c like always but I can only recall it being on once about 2 weeks ago for a few minutes, its showing 23c in here at the moment and it's 14c out, it won't start working properly until it drops quite a few degrees yet, plus its insulated like hell in here, cavity wall, a ridiculously large amount of loft insulation and those windows that amplify the sun light coming in and let hardly any heat out, planitherme or however it's spelt.

simonlewis

I don't have a thermostat, it's either on of off.

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
I don't have a thermostat, it's either on of off.
Is this a central heating system? If so when was it installed? Can't believe that anyone would have installed a system without a thermostat of some sort in the last 50 yrs or so!

Have you considered adding a thermostat?

simonlewis

It is a flat built in 1992.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
We set our thermostat and the heating clicks on and off as it sees fit. 19 degrees in the day and er 15 at night or something. Coming on very occasionally at the moment - the radiators are very slightly warm. Our house has new decent windows throughout but we lose loads of heat through the 1930s walls.

gibbsy

It's been a relatively cold summer and very chilly in the nights, in fact the last few nights have been warmer than August. Heating is switched on in the morning and off before retiring to bed and let the thermostat do it's thing. Wife likes it set to 22C, me and the dog are no so fussy. But I do like a quiet life.

Dony

Distinguished Member
We have downstairs set to come on a 4pm until 11pm, working off the thermostat during these hours. Upstairs comes on between 7pm and 9pm.

a l e x

Distinguished Member
We're hoping our boiler lasts until next year before replacing it... Probably an ideal time to add a second thermostat. How does dual zone work? As in, what is needed extra compared to the usual one thermostat for the full house?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

Cyrus Audio announces soundBuds2 in-ear headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research launches Reference 80S power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches CI 16-60 DSP amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett